The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Aye, I can’t imagine it being anything but rubbish but:

I watched Moana last night. Despite the songs being ‘good’, I genuinely couldn’t watch it ever again based on that much singing. Which is a shame cos the actual ‘film’ bits were really really good. Also, how much better can CGI actually get at this point? It looked fucking unbelievable.

1 Like

I loved Moana despite the singing but yeah, I agree. Even as a kid I used to cringe through the vast, vast majority of Disney singing bits. But you know, most people love em eh.

Didn’t ruin the film for me, it’s wonderful and I’m a bit miffed it didn’t do better.

It’s really good, guys, it’s basically like that partridge episode with the creepy fan.

It goes a bit silly towards the end and there’s one character which is a bit iffy but otherwise I had fun with it

1 Like

Colours of the Mountain - - Colombian about a gourp of boys who try to get their ball back from a minefield. Thought it was a bit weak tbh

The Two Jakes - Chinatown sequel, Dead wordy and twisty but a lot more enjoyable than I thought

feel like i saw the entire film in the trailer

1 Like

yeah the two jakes isn’t as bad, is it? it was much better than I was expecting

nah the trailer just focuses on the slap-sticky one-liner bits, there are a couple interesting twists in it (anyway it’s a comedy so that’s all it really needs to be as a trailer)

yeah I really quite enjoyed it. Think it just suffers cause it’s a Chinatown sequel, but I think it does well with that, some nice touches to it and stands up alone. Think just because it isn’t a masterpiece it just suffers by comparison

plus Tom waits shows up apparently!

nah, it lacks any of the things that elevated the first one above another hard boiled detective film into something great

1 Like

The book Easy Riders Raging Bulls talks a bit about the troubled making of The Two Jakes, it’s interesting. Apparently there was meant to be a third film but the poor reception The Two Jakes got put paid to that.

Saw Mindhorn, was OK but it’s no Alpha Papa.

I dunno, I think Two Jakes is above average. Im not saying its amazing but I enjoyed it a lot watching it and thought it had a good complex story.

Bit weird Nicho directed it

Just out of Mindhorn, pretty disappointing all in all. Did chuckle at Simon Farnaby a fair bit but was pretty bored for long stretches.

where’s Harry Bloody Styles??

This is sweet:

2 Likes

So out of the loop. Don’t even know what the best film site is for news and such.

Mindhorn - Really disjointed but had at least eight moments that were way funnier than they had any right to be. Enjoyed it.

Lady Macbeth - Absolutely stunning. Insanely good central performance, framing and shot composition were absolutely beautiful and the sound design (as mentioned above) steals the show. Not seen/heard sound contribute so much to the atmosphere of a film in such a pointed way since Barton Fink. To say too much about it plotwise would ruin it for others but seriously, if you’re on the fence about it/don’t like period films (which I was/am) go and see it.

1 Like

really enjoyed GOTG2 - yeah it’s probably not the best film ever made or whatever but it was thoroughly entertaining, great jokes, looked good, great use of music (even if that Cat Stevens song at the end will forever just remind me of Boyzone)

8/10 for me clive

3 Likes

Not seen it but feel like this Mindhorn thing has been done before? Several times?