The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

So good huh, funny that’s come out the weekend I’ve moved here and now have the fear

hah dont go to any book shops!

what I enjoyed about it is how it was never gratuitous or over the top. it played out at a nice pace and the characters were well fleshed out. compared with Hounds of Love which I also saw this week, it’s infinitely better

1 Like

Saw Baywatch a few days ago. Was like they’d let a teenage boy hitting puberty direct the film. Awwwwfulllllll.

:smiley: why would you see this

On holiday. Endless rain. Hoped it could be another 21 Jump Street.

Went with my mum as well, was excruciating to sit through all the boner jokes.

7 Likes

:+1::joy::+1:

Just watched Shimmer Lake. New Netflix film about a crime but tols in reverse. Really enjoyable, quite funny too. If you liked that Macon Blair one, this is miles better

I went to see bridesmaids with my parents because my sister said it was hilarious. No idea what she was thinking!

Yeah that would be terrible too. There was a FIVE minute long scene where a character gets his boner stuck between the slats of a wooden deck chair. So so cringe :joy:

1 Like

jfc

Think I’m gonna go see Wonder Woman a bit later to help with the impending Sunday night work dread.

NY Times top 25 films of the 21st century. How many have YOU pretended to like?

1 Like

Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer - This is really good, big surprise as I knew nothing of it/had no expectations of it going in but if you can ignore the jaunty 90’s family film score which does it’s best to undermine the whole thing there’s loads to enjoy about this. Richard Gere is excellent and the whole thing has a Coens-light parable feeling to it. If you’re a sucker for Jewish mannerisms and cultural quirks (which I very much am) go and see this.

My Cousin Rachel - Was mostly bored to tears by this tbh, period drama adaptation things aren’t my bag at all but this was getting enough praise for me to be intrigued by it but it left me completely cold. Something about the settings and costume and accents etc always leaves me completely at arms length when trying to latch onto any characters in films like this and this was no exception. Seemed “ambiguous” in a deliberately manipulative way rather than organically as well which I’m not into.

finally watched son of saul last night - well, that was brutal. the direction (which is not something that I would consider an obvious thing to make a point about) was really incredible though - the tight shot on Saul the whole way through made it feel so claustrophobic.

3 Likes

million dollar baby at 3?? i’ve never seen it but i’ve also never heard it being held in particularly high regard?

EDIT: some other pretty lols choices in there

That’s a very odd list. It’s like it was compiled by two cine-asts and some guy who goes to Cineworld once every couple of years.

5 Likes

did it not win best film?

I’ve seen 40 year old virgin…
:joy:
such a weird list

shit yeah it did, wow. okay ignore me. it actually looks like something i’d really enjoy, might watch it tonight.

yeah remember it was decent enough, not amazing or anything. if you can, try and avoid finding out what the plot is. I’m glad I watched it not knowing the ending.

edit: best picture / director / actress & supporting actor. lol.