The 2018 DIS forum user album of the year DISCUSSION THREAD

I still love this album, I probably won’t get to vote for it though unfortunately. Still no idea why it’s being rated so lowly, the whole thing is great.

1. The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.
  2. The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.
  3. The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.
  4. The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.
  5. The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.

Why would you do this?

These are easily two of my top 5 I could never choose one over the other

It was the algorithm! It’s done randomly! It’s the one big drawback to this system: your second favourite lp of the year can go out in the first round if its drawn against your favourite.

ALL JUST ADDS TO THE TENSION AND THE DRAMA!*

*tension and drama not guaranteed. Your statutory rights are unaffected.

My man :+1:

I’ve got the extended version of this plus the remix album and it is all great :+1::+1:

Plus, one of my gig of the year :+1::+1::+1:

This feels a touch early as I reckon the 1975 will be up there. Still here goes:

P.S I’m including EPs because there’s been a couple this year that deserve to be held up there:

1. Wild Pink - Yolk in the Fur
  2. Fucked Up - Dose your Dreams
  3. Typhoon - Offerings
  4. Boygenius - Boygenius
  5. Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
  6. Foxing - Nearer my God
  7. Janelle Monae - Dirty Conputer
  8. The Spielberg’s - Distant Star
  9. Wye Oak-The Louder I Call
  10. Restorations - LP 5000

I’ll kill myself if CSH don’t make it to at least the quarter-finals

Most of the pundits are talking up their side as being the easier half of the draw with the big hitters of Low and Let’s Eat Grandma on the other side. You could be OK!

Great to see someone else liking the wild pink and restorations records

I made a playlist of stuff I’ve loved that’s been released this year (be it singles, album tracks or songs from EPs). A few mates I’ve shared it with have loved it so I thought I’d put it on here too because to be honest a fair bit of this I wouldn’t have known about if it wasn’t for this messageboard. ITS THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIFEEEEE

They are both so great. The Reatorations LP has so much focus, every track just lands perfectly.

I’m actually fairly surprised that Wild Pink isn’t on more lists here, it seemed like people where listening at the time, tbh I’ve put it on 3-4 a week even since. There’s just something about how low key and expansive it is gets me every time.

I won’t submit my list until nearer the end of the month, but the below are the ten that I’m most likely considering. Unless I find some additional new (or unheard by me) albums over the next month.

Hannah Epperson – Slowdown
Setec – Atrial Flutters (or Raise Yr Hand If Yr Afraid)
Sam Vance-Law – Homotopia
Jonathan Bree – Sleepwalking
Get Well Soon – The Horror
Laura Gibson – Goners
Soap&Skin – From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend
TV Girl – Death Of A Party Girl
Low – Double Negative
Kathryn Joseph – From When I Wake The Want Is

Good list this @bugduv

honourable mentions: Julia Holter, Noname, Gang Gang Dance, Hot Snakes, The Ex, Kadhja Bonet, Mamuthones, Shortparis, serpentwithfeet ,Josephine Foster, Mariah Carey

thanks for the music guys

Who does everyone want to win, out of the albums that have a realistic chance? I’d love Young Fathers to get it, don’t think I’m that fussed about most of the other popular entries.

Yeah, me too. It’s telling that it’s probably my least favourite album by them though. Bad year.

Oh it’s the opposite for me, this is the album that made me a proper fan.

Really? I think it’s highlights are some of the best tracks they’ve done but I think there is probably proportionally less from this on my “Best Of” playlist than their others

Clear standout for me is Jon Hopkins. Singluarity took everything great about Immunity and dumbed it down to a generic rehash.
I’d also agree about Preoccupations… I only listened to it once but it seemed really turgid.