The 2019 DIS forum user album of the year POLL THREAD

Yeah it’s a lot of fun that one, gets pretty sonic I’m the second half. Good blokes too.
Cate le bon and Wand seem to have passed me by, will check them out. Hopefully catch you at a cardiff show this year :+1:

1 Like

Last call for contributions. Will gather up the data some time tomorrow.

3 Likes

I have to say that both records have been slow burners just consistently stuck on throughout the year but enjoyed more immensely with each spin.

Wand’s Laughing Matter is a wonderfully crafted blend of psych, kraut, folk and the odd ambient moment chucked in for good measure. Moving further away from their more straight up psych sound of their earlier records with lead singer Cory Hanson further expanding on his more Thom Yorke esque falsetto vocal style that started to appear on their previous record Plum. Would recommend if you’re a fan of the San Francisco psych scene or bands like Kikagaku Moyo.

With Reward, Cate Le Bon just takes every song in her stride and it’s just a triumph in my books. Whether it’s delicate ballads like The Light or more twitchy punky numbers like Mother’s Mother’s Magazines, each song feels fully formed and not a second is wasted. No song oitstays its welcome. Watched a fair few clips of performances of these tracks with the full band involved and they’re just so impeccably tight. Maybe check this out:

Anyway I’ve always enjoyed Cate’s albums bit this one seems to have sunk in deeper than the rest. Hope you get round to giving it a spin!

And yeah deffo would be great to meet at a gig sometime. Really surprised we haven’t crossed paths at least one gig around Cardiff :smile:

2 Likes
  1. Girl Band - The Talkies
  2. Tyler The creator - Igor
  3. Twilight Sad - It won’t be like this all the time
  4. FKA Twigs - Magdalene
  5. Billie Eilish - When we fall asleep

Honourable mentions: Litte Simz, Nick Cave & The bad seeds, Purple mountains, Micahel Kiwanuka. And probably a bunch more i’m forgetting right now.

3 Likes
  1. Richard Dawson - 2020
  2. Better Oblivion Community Centre - Better Oblivion Community Centre
  3. Dave - Psycho Drama
  4. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
  5. Black Midi - Schlagenheim
  1. Fennesz - Agora
  2. Big Thief - UFOF
  3. Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
  4. Elbow - Giants of All Sizes
  5. Loscil - Equivalents
1 Like
  1. Richard Dawson - 2020
  2. Tyler the Creator - Igor
  3. Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits
  4. Billy Woods - Hiding places
  5. Zig zags - You’ll never take us alive
1 Like
  1. Oh Sees - Face Stabber
  2. Nick Cave – Ghosteen
  3. Thom Yorke – Anima
  4. L’Épée – Diabolique
  5. Floating Points - Crush
2 Likes

Cheers, both sound pretty excellent from your description! I’m a total sucker for that San Fran psych rock sound but Wands new direction sounds intriguing. In some ways hoping Cate Le Bon isn’t my cup of tea as she did a residency here last year and I will have dropped the ball there, haha. Enjoying the KEXP set so far…

1 Like

Ahhh yeahh I regretted not going to her show at Portland House, if that’s the one you mean? I didn’t go either as I couldn’t afford it and had previously caught her earlier year performing at the Gate. But still yeah kicking myself a bit for not seeing a full band show…

Yeah that one and I thought there were others around the city but cant see this anywhere, so possibly imagined it! Ah only ever something you realise in retrospect. There will be other times

1 Like

Enjoying that there’s no obvious winner this year, think U.F.O.F still might swing it but it’s gonna be a close one this year

1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
  2. Little Simz - Grey Area
  3. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
  4. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
  5. The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce
2 Likes
  1. Strange Ranger - Remembering the Rockets
  2. Pile - Green and Gray
  3. Tropical Fuck Storm - Braindrops
  4. MONO - Nowhere, Now Here
  5. Pedro the Lion - Phoenix
  1. Stenny - Upsurge
  2. Petrels - The Dusk Loom
  3. Amyl & the Sniffers
  4. Quirke - Steal a Golden Hail
  5. Fat White Family - Serf’s Up
  1. Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
  2. Self Esteem - Compliments Please
  3. Little Simz - Grey Area
  4. Lana Del Ray - Norman Fucking Rockwell
  5. Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
2 Likes

Going to be this evening when I get around to doing anything with this. So let’s say 8pm today as the deadline for any final contributions.

1. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated
  2. Spielbergs - This is not the End
  3. Pup - Morbid Stuff
  4. Martha - Love Keeps Kicking
  5. Caroline Polachek - Pang
  1. WH Lung - Incidental Music
  2. Barker - Utility
  3. The Murder Capital - When I Have Fears
  4. The Twilight Sad - It Won’t Be Like This All The Time
  5. Self Esteem - Compliments
1 Like

Thread closed.

I’ll be back with the results early next week. Monday, possibly Tuesday.

21 Likes