The Actual Simpsons Thread (But everyone finally got over their Steamed Hams thing.)

Being a bit cynical but they’ll bring him back by making the winning episode of that competition won’t they.

That’s a fucking terrible response to having a poor stereotype highlighted. You can’t just Poochie him out.

‘“Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect. What can you do?” asked Lisa, before looking over to a framed photo of Apu on her bedside table.’

jesus, they didn’t actually put that on telly did they? :nose:

True, but I’d love it if they actually did the going back to his home planet thing, turns out he wasn’t Indian after all

I love how people are expecting a show that hasn’t been good in about twenty years to handle a potentially sensitive issue with any sort of ability

The problem is every time this comes up there are a million nerds on the internet going “but everyone in the show is a stereotype WhAt AbOuT gRouNdsKeEpeR WiLLie?!?”

I know this is an obvious response but the show really just needs to be cancelled. Even ignoring the fact that it hasn’t been good for about 16 years now, it’s a complete anachronism at this point. Defending it is like defending something from the 1960s back when it originally started, but the early seasons used to rip endlessly on that kind of dated sitcom logic.

Expectations are low

Yeah, they did.

‘Shat ourselves on purpose, guys, you can’t stereotype Venusians!’

I don’t watch the Simpsons because it’s rubbish, but i’m interested why the writers feel they can’t keep Apu but just be a bit less racist? It’s literally a cartoon, just change his voice without explanation, or write it into the show, whatever, and give him a different job. Surely that would be a better statement than reluctantly writing him out?

That would require the new writers to have at least some credibility, though