The Actual Simpsons Thread (But everyone finally got over their Steamed Hams thing.)

steamed hams, steam from the steamed steamed hams aurora borealis steamed clams

:smiley:

one of my all-time favourite lines there

“I mean, I don’t want to sound pretentious here, but… Itchy & Scratchy comprise a dramaturgical dyad.”

so many good lines in just this one clip, ahaha

“consistently and thoroughly”

That episode in general is in my top 5 I think:

“We’re talking about a totally outrageous paradigm”

One of my least favourite episodes from the “golden era”, actually

That whole scene just reminds me of latter-period Simpsons “satire”. groans like Sideshow Bob standing on a rake

Pretty much sown up as my favourite episode now.

The whole show is satire?

Oh yeah absolutely…but I feel that peak period Simpsons weaves it’s satire into the stories and character developments…whereas latter period Simpsons has very forced satirical asides (almost in the style of Family Guy cut-aways). That particular scene reminds me more of the bad times than the good…though I realise that’s probably a minority opinion.

I do see your point but I don’t think that happens here yet, it’s for instance the major criticism of Principal and the Pauper.

This, the day the laughter died and at its end point Homer’s Enemy I feel are some of their best episodes because it’s so sharp and self-referential etc

This:
IMG_20171216_211700
obviously made me think of this:

I think the satirical aspect of the Simpsons is slightly overplayed though, it is just one style of humour they use (and it’s not as sharp as South Park).

The major criticism of that episode is surely tearing apart the backstory of a prominent character??

Yes obviously that is an aspect but the larger point is about “change within people/characters and not reacting well to it”