The album is dead; Long live the playlist

Why not? They clearly only release the best songs from the albums. Whack 'em all on a playlist. A playlist probably titled “The Best Of Music”.

Literally no reason to have albums

1 Like

An album is just a playlist but way better

Playlists are alright as well

3 Likes

What playlist is better than one someone literally writes from scratch, eh?

2 Likes

I used to love buying singles. Off with my pitiful wage on a day off to see what was new in the charts. So many CDs on display some even in cellophane wrapping their colourful images beckoning me to buy them.

Trips to Our Price, HMV, Virgin megastore, Woolworths or even a local independent record score if I wanted something more obscure.

Singles used to be cool maaan. Without singles how else can you be ultra indielitist ans say things like “the b side is better.”

1 Like

but where would you store all your polaroid pictures? In a shoebox?!

More of an LP man personally and when I say LP I mean Let’s Playlist!

8 Likes

terrible take. where do you think the tracks on your playlists come from?

can’t tell if this thread is satire or not

especially since so many of us on here get giddy every friday cos tons of new albums come out

I have turned into mr playlist, which I feel a bit bad about, but fuck it

I’ve been had.

I also just remembered when MoAsm went on about listening to the first Idles album about 37u4892374837 times

1 Like

edit: this irks me too much to join in

Makes me sad that kids these days don’t listen to albums.

7 Likes

They do

Ask a kids these days what albums they’ve heard and they laugh you out of town, thinking you’re talking about those photo albums on facebook their parents used to compile.

Depends on what kids you’re talking to. Facebook music blog comments, Reddit and the needle drop are dead popular with indie kid nerds.

Just look at how excited Twitter gets when Taylor swift or whatever releases a new album

I refuse to do that.

1 Like

See also: the 1975.

I will, in February.

I realise I’m probably being baited, but when I worked with a lot of younger interns who liked music, yeah they listened to playlists a lot, but they also got excited for new albums (even if it was just playlist fuel )