The April 2021 Wrestling Thread: WRESTLEMANIA 37!

Is this the same flight he tried to wrestle Lesnar and they nearly fell out? Imagine if there was on board footage

Eva Marie lmao

1 Like

Also Eva Marie is back

Fucks sake

2 Likes

to be fair they’ve teased that for 10months

Jinder back aswell. What a time to be alive.

I hope he comes back even more roided up than last time and they spaff the whole Reigns storyline on a 2nd Jinder title run.

3 Likes

Clearly this is their 1…2 counter to AEWs new numbers

2 Likes

Daniel Bryan’s contract is done according to the wrestling press :eyes::eyes::eyes:

So as most of you will be aware I’m not the biggest AEW fan (or rather I’m a bit skeptical about their hype) and especially the last year of Chris Jericho but the uproar about his bump last night is hilarious, it honestly doesn’t even look that bad!

It looked fairly convincing to me while still being safe and I’ve seen way more obvious crash mat jobs in the past. Given he’s 50 and the horrendous Matt Hardy bump wasn’t too far in the rear mirror I actually think AEW did a decent job with it but I haven’t watched the match yet so who knows

2 Likes

The people complaining wouldve been complaining that it was dangerous if he’d have just hit the floor.

2 Likes

It was a terrible camera angle and the obviously cardboard ‘steel’ looked rubbish tbf. It’s good that it was so safe but the trick is to make it look at least a little dangerous. The suspension in disbelief needs a little helping hand, y’know? They really need to get better at these big finishes if they’re gonna keep doing them and having a misfire so soon after Revolution makes it look like a systemic issue with AEW.

The match itself was a hot mess. I was initially disappointed at them not giving it more time but the back half of the match ended up just being guys lying around bleeding looking gassed so it probably got more than it needed. I did really enjoy a lot of it but once it got to 5 on 5 and they started dismantling the ring for some reason it really ran out of steam. I was hoping they wouldn’t feel the need to go up to the top but storywise it led to a nice finish - MJF literally pushing Jericho off the top to take his spot, looking down at his broken body saying, “thank you” just as he predicted, looking like the devil covered in blood at the end. All lovely, lovely stuff. It’s just that the execution of the bump was so poor that the good stuff once again is overshadowed, just like for Kingston’s big redemption moment at Revolution. Watching AEW is at times like playing an old SNES RPG back in the day and having to allow for some shonky graphics to appreciate the ambition of what they’re attempting. It really shouldn’t be like that though.

1 Like

Ah I didn’t realise it was meant to be “Steel” that makes a bit more sense

Excalibur didn’t help by repeatedly describing it as a concrete ramp either. I know Jericho has put on a few pounds but no one is gonna buy him making that kind of crater in concrete. Concrete painted to look like steel. That is clearly actually wood.

1 Like

Talking of AEW, I’ve not watched it in quite a while and thought I’d jump back in with Blood and Guts. I’m up to the main event now, but I’m just confused with the rules or lack of in the promotion. The first match, Nakamura chokes Kingston with his laminate, no DQ. Cody match, Arn Anderson puts his hands on QT Marshall, no DQ. Does DQ just not exist in the promotion and you can do what you like?

The RULES!

3 Likes

The burying of the refs did seem particularly noticeable last night. TK has said he doesn’t like DQ finishes but the solution there ought to be to book clean matches rather than make the refs seem utterly powerless.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s like if you can’t do a move, don’t do it and do something else instead. It should be the same with the refs. Alternatively, the commentators could say that certain things are not a DQ there. Like say it each time in each match, so we know what’s allowed and what’s not, otherwise as us fans will not know. If the rules are different, fine, no bother, just say so. A lot of us are coming from WWE and they have their rules set out and we (maybe just me) expect it to be about the same.

It also annoys me when tag teams are in the ring for an infinite amount of time. I know they have a 10 count instead, but that just gets thrown out the window. I think that comes from Mexico, AAA and the like, but they’ve set out the rule and they don’t follow it.

I’m sounding a little Cornette today

2 Likes

So what your saying is it’s an outlaw mudshow

1 Like

Maybe, not that much Cornette :grin:

2 Likes

The best parts of that episode were Scorpio Sky calling Sting “Steve” (who’s apparently injured off a heel hook ffs but thank god for that anyway because we’ve got one aspect of that clusterfuck booking off TV) and the Kenny Omega promo in Orange Cassidy which is pretty much a rip-off of the John Cena-Daniel Bryan feud from 2013 except they’re going to hotshot it in one week lol!