THE AUTUMN 2023 WRESTLING THREAD! (Feat. AEW Full Gear! WWE Survivor Series War Games! & more!)

MJF v White should be a guaranteed banger on paper. It would take a lot of time and effort to devise a way for it not to be. So I guess hats off to everyone involved for pulling off a relative stinker.

3 Likes

I feel really conflicted on it. What they were doing in the match was really good so hats off to White and MJF but I spent the whole match waiting for some stupid shit to happen.

A real shame because they worked their arses off and I don’t think the way that match was booked did anything for anyone. Especially not White - I’ve heard people say he has an out because he didn’t lose clean but so what? He took half an hour against a guy with one good leg and also had his boys help him during the match. He looks like a bum now for not getting the job done. Not sure I’d go as far as saying he’s been buried but it’s hard to see how he recovers to look a credible threat again.

Maybe nitpicking but the leg injury should’ve been played upon more. Doing every move under the sun and then being like “oww my leg” doesn’t do it.

2 Likes

I’m not sure the leg angle was necessary at all. An angle running through the whole PPV is always kinda cool but he was always beating White, why did he need to do it on one leg? Was beating Mox, Danielson, Omega, Joe and Cole not enough to elevate his reign? It’s not like it added any real jeopardy to the situation. Is he beating Ospreay blindfold next?

I just feel like I’ve been robbed of a good match tbh.

3 Likes

Got some WWE tickets for my nephew for Xmas, is there a good 3D seating plan thing for WWE O2 events that any of y’all know of? Little bit worried that I got floor tickets and he won’t be able to see…

Word is Roddy Strong was meant be the replacement for MJF instead of Cole, but the nasty bump he took the day before ruled him out. Makes sense why none of it made sense ie why was Cole cleared to be in the main event but not to defend the ROH tag titles etc…

1 Like

There is!

https://3ddigitalvenue.com/3dmap/clients/the-o2-arena-doi/

1 Like

Thank you x

1 Like

Guess if MJF drops the belt to Jay White sharpish it might make a little more sense, maybe?

Wonder if he’d have won or if they completely pivoted

Not down with any sort of ‘hanging’ moves or gimmicks.

1 Like

Hard to buy a leg injury as that big a deal for the champ of the whole company when I just watched two clowns bounce each others heads off barbed wire chairs, cinderblocks and broken glass and it still took them 30 minutes to get a pin. Leg injury isn’t even a mild tickle in comparison.

Count out*

1 Like

I stopped watching after the blood drinking bit tbh. Suddenly I saw the entire sport the way normal people see it and I had to turn it off.

1 Like

Yeah fair, I was tempted to do the same

1 Like

With my limited booking knowledge, I assume it was intended to introduce some doubt going into the match that they might be about to do a title change.

Silly though, because it’s not the 80s any more and we all know that kafabe is a thing.

1 Like

Christian is the only thing I find interesting about AEW at the moment. Such a great reinvention and promos always fire possibly finest work of his career. Love a cult leader type angle.

Dunno what to make of MJF right now. In hindsight maybe they put the belt on him too early or something? Or maybe you know who getting fired threw a spanner into the works. I like the idea of the paranoid champ being circled by sharks but this face run is kinda shit. The guy who cut that pipe bomb is a totally different character to the goof in comedy skits and being played like a fiddle by Adam Cole bb. Probably needs to lose the belt soon and duck out of the territory for a while, have a reset and rethink.

Think MJF all depends on the devil reveal. If it’s him then the babyface stuff being cringy works. If not it doesn’t.

Think the swerve v hangman stuff has been the best part of AEW with the Christian verse second behind it.

2 Likes

Massive this. ‘MJF is the devil’ is the best outcome in every way (apart from in being Punk but that is not happening). It reignites the best of MJF and stops the angle turning into an anticlimax. God I hope it’s him.

1 Like

I can’t remember what the Devil did or said. Anyone?

Greatest trick he ever pulled…

2 Likes