The Avalanches

Given the bonus material is almost certainly inessential, that’s a lot for an awful lot for an album that you can pick up for £20 new, without waiting two months.

2 Likes

Yeah, doesn’t seem to warrant the price. Definitely feels like a missed opportunity.

Was meant to be out in 2017ish as well it was produced there have been various copies of it for sale on discogs.

Have it on vinyl so would have picked up the CD if there was new/alternate material but given that it’s just remixes I’ll probs swerve it

Quite like the Prince Paul remix. Nice “full circle” feeling, with Prince Paul & De La Soul’s ‘More Than U Know’ being one of the more prominent samples on the album (‘Flight Tonight’)

2 Likes

They seem to be ducking all questions about sample clearance on social media FWIW.

Rightfully so. Not really helpful for people to bring up the issue in the current climate tbh (see below). That said, it’s reissued every couple of years without any fuss, so presumably they won’t have any problems.

1 Like

Listened to it about 5 times already this morning

if it’s not a 128k mp3 of the Gimix mix with all the samples that they couldn’t get cleared, I’m not interested

(alight, maybe I’d pay for a decent quality version, but next to the mix, the album just sounds a bit flat)

1 Like

Hopefully they record this

3 Likes

I’m slightly confused, on the twitter announcement video it says the reissue is 2cd + megamix, so it looks like there’s a third disc? This blurb they mailed out seems to confirm it “For fans of the CD format, it comes with a bonus mix CD that we made especially for you, a journey through the flotsam and jetsam that has been floating around in the vaults for years.” It’s not mentioned on the preorders anywhere though. Reddit Avalanches has a tracklist under the the thread on the reissue, no idea if it’s legit but if it is aside from some demo’s I think it’s all previously released stuff, I’m still into the idea of a big bonus mix though.

Though it reminds me unfortunately of Suede’s A New Morning I like the reissue artwork, the vinyl looks beautiful but I can’t go for it at that price. Despite always being a huge fan of the cover, particularly the inner gatefold, I’d never looked up where it came from, it always fit so perfect with the record’s atmosphere, makes sense it was an old painting they retouched and repurposed.

For me this could make the difference between buying it and not buying it. The vinyl is ridiculously expensive but I’d be tempted by the CD if you got two extra discs for the £12 it seems to be selling for, especially if the mix was not going to be streaming anywhere.

Well there’s this bit on the US webstore “The 2CD features 39 tracks, consisting of the original 18 track album + a 21 track exclusive mix, including 8 unreleased tracks + Avalanches remixes of The Manic Street Preachers, Badly Drawn Boy, Belle & Sebastian and Franz Ferdinand.”

This is the tracklist from Reddit, it was just typed up with no source:

• Tonight May Have To Last Me All My Life (MF DOOM Remix)
  • Summer Crane (Black Dice Remix)
  • Frontier Psychiatrist (Mario Caldato Jr’s 85% Remix)
  • Electricity (Dr. Rockit’s Dirty Kiss Remix)
  • Electricity (Original Avalanches Demo Tape)
  • Thank You Caroline (Original Avalanches Demo Tape)
  • Thank You Caroline (Andy Votel Remix)
  • So Why So Sad (The Avalanches Sean Penn Mix)
  • The Shining (The Avalanches Good Word For The Weekend Mix)
  • Pablo’s Cruise (Original Avalanches Demo Tape)
  • I’m A Cuckoo (The Avalanches Remix)
  • Chico (The Avalanches Wernham Hogg Mix)
  • Fade Together (The Avalanches Remix)
  • Since I Left You (Stereolab Remix)
  • Flight Tonight (Canyons Travel Agent Dub)
  • Radio (Sinkane Remix)
  • A Different Feeling (Ernest Saint Laurent Remix)
  • A Different Feeling (Carl Craig’s Paperclip People Remix)
  • Two Hearts In 3/4 Time (Jackson & His Computer Band Remix)
  • Tonight May Have To Last Me All My Life (Dragged By Leon Vynehall)
  • Tonight May Have To Last Me All My Life (Edan Remix)

Might just be a download, dunno, guess we’ll have to wait and see

I loved their brief time remixing other people, their version of I’m A Cuckoo is joyous

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s just 2 CDs, the ‘megamix’ is just part of the 2nd disc. Still, it’s enough for me. Such an incredible album, though I don’t think I’ve listened to it in full for years. Presumably the whole thing has been remastered?

Yea might get the 2CD, should be alreet