The Beatific Exhalation of a Fresh Page Being Turned - The Midweek Football Thread

Poor OBT.

Heh.

bitter!

Jose doesn’t think his team should be the pre-match favourites to beat Sevilla despite costing eight times as much.

Imagine losing your wig that badly over a respectable draw against Barcelona!

In contrast, watch how gracefully I handle our shoeing at the hands of Sevilla later.

5 Likes

This is the worst Sevilla side in years. They’ve conceded four or more goals to Spartak Moscow, Betis, Eibar, Valencia and a couple of others this season.

They have Steven Nzonzi

Some stuff I reckon stands out from Sevilla/Man U:

Feel like the whole Pogba thing is reaching a head. Huge drama in the small chance he doesn’t get picked. But then if he plays and is poor, and the system looks flawed again, ala Newcastle/Spurs, which is very very possible at the Sanchez Pizjuán against Banega/N’zonzi - that’s arguably worse, if it jeopardises Champions League progress.

Fairly confident of Sevilla putting in a strong performance, but also reckon they could lose their wig.

3 Likes

Didn’t realise they have Nolito too, could easily put a couple past

oh did you write this? well done, enjoyed it

1 Like

Your stuff’s decent, mate. Definitely good enough to get commissions or work for a paid online site or subbing for a national paper, etc. Always cite Jack Pitt-Brooke as an example. Gone from a City blog to subbing a bit to being one of the best football writers in a national (no doubt he’s grafted his bollocks off at uni for a few years, but…).

Think it’s great that so many of these guys are so reachable and willing to offer advice and that there are now so many sites who act as a sort of a gateway between writing for fun and being a fully paid-up writer. Obviously there’s a lot of behind the scenes work, but it feels like there’s a clearer path (but probably much more competition) for people who’ve got a proper interest in and flair for it like yourself.

The reality’s probably quite far removed from the mental picture, but imagine getting paid to sit in cafés in Europe somewhere writing about football. Fucking hell. That’s the dream, ain’t it? Wish i’d have known in my mid-teens that people got paid for doing that sort of thing, and where the internet might go, and would’ve put some sort of effort into studying, ffs.

7 Likes

It’s never too late, mate. You should look into it!

1 Like

Is this some meaning of ‘chuffed’ that I’m not familar with? Chuffed means ‘well happy’.

Really, really, really wish I’d chosen sports journalism at Uni instead of dropping out after a year of film and TV production…

I’m reinterpreting Aspidistra’s bed shitting to the 99% cheery (even from non-Chelsea fan) posts for barely comic effect

chuffed can be used in place of a swear word as well…

“What the chuff?”

Also as a replacement for bum (up the chuff)

1 Like

I always assumed the phrase came into being because everyone likes a bit of chuff action.

one of my ATDs is studying sports journalism, we are all wishing him well

1 Like

Thanks pal. Yeah can’t disagree with any of that. Lucky to be in a position to go back to Uni and give it a proper go - having said that, apart from some of the extra stuff (law, shorthand etc) it’s not given me a great deal more knowledge and experience than doing it as a hobby or writing something for a site with an editor who can give feedback.

I get a little bit of cash for writing for that website but I don’t think studying journalism has really had any effect on that whatsoever. Just winging it, trying stuff and ‘networking’ (urgh) - like you say there’s a lot of really helpful people around

2 Likes

Fulham away at Bristol city tonight. Absolutely no chance of getting anything out of it. They comfortably beat the most expensive side in football history, remember