The best of roads, the worst of roads

A470 is a good shout. I’d also recommend the A44 between Llangurig and Capel Bangor while out that way.

Always, always go toll. Mental not to.

1 Like

This thread is very depressing. Through a masterpiece of poor geographical planning I’ve spent significant portions (many thousands of hours) of my life on the A14, the M6 north of Birmingham and the M42 between the M40 and the M6, all of which are just as awful as everyone has suggested.

On the other hand, I’ve also spent a long time on the majestic roads north from Glasgow, up Lomondside, through Glencoe and up to Skye and beyond. Which makes up for a lot…

1 Like

Love the M6 Toll.
Clear lanes even at peak times. And I also love the racing-driver start when you have paid your toll and are jockeying for position with the other cars as they leave the booths

6 Likes

HE’S GOING THE DISTANCE
HE’S GOING FOR SPEED

2 Likes

I like this road near the mountain Cader Idris in Snowdonia - image doesn’t really do it justice but it’s the best I can find

They test fighter jets up and down the valley sometimes - one popped out from behind a rock crag and flew very low over us one time. It was exciting

that’s a fucking great road, and miles away from the M8 :slight_smile:

Oh, I forgot about this one on the Isle of Wight

these are all just codes

Drove it in August in beautiful sunshine and was hard to keep my eyes on the road. I’ve never actually driven the M8 (beyond Glasgow anyway) and I intend to keep it that way!

ha, yeah i have driven that road a few times, really hard n ot to crash whilst doing so. I had to stop a lot to get out and admire the view :slight_smile:

Best M6 Toll

Worst M60 just get stuck on it every time

Oh the M6 toll, fucking absolutely love it.

Best has to be the B3306 in Cornwall, stunning stuff:

Worst is probably the M6 around the RAC building.

northumberland side of the north pennines AONB ranks highly (allendale to allenheads, b6295. a686 is fine too)

Best Road is the Applecross Pass

Worst road is probably the A501 Euston Road/Marylebone Rd etc

1 Like

anyone posting a road south of Fort William has never driven north of Fort William

M8 and the M80 can well and truly fuck off.

1 Like

Well technically a chunk of this road IS north of Fort William so… But yeah, I need to explore the whole north west bit of Scotland above Skye.