The best pubs in your town

:+1:

John Borlase is my favourite, especially in summer.

Also like Herbert Kilpin.

1 Like

If you want a really good pie… The Gardeners.

1 Like

Honourable mentions:
The Alex
The Bless
The New Zealand

1 Like

North Birmingham/Sutton Coldfield

The Boldmere Tap
The Station
The Three Tuns

Screw you

1 Like

Renaming Y Mochyn Du was one of the stupidest pub renames ever. Also haven’t been in the Cayo since it reopened and was renamed. Not even sure what its called now ? The Grange used to be horrendously rough. Guess that’s changed now though ?

The Cayo is now the Pontcanna Inn I think, haven’t been in but my partner says it’s full of English people and arseholes. Y Mochyn is just a sad story of profit motive, the guy who owned it also owns a house a couple of doors down from me - turfed out the tenants saying he wanted to move family in, and now it’s an AirBnB.

The Grange is now very nice, good food, nice beer selection, good atmosphere - Grangetown is (still) gentrifying. I lived in Grangetown for a bit up in the Saltmead, and one of the first experiences I had was of a rolling brawl taking place outside the Neville, literally pool cues and balls being slung about the place and across the road into traffic. Madness. It’s now a One Stop.

Don’t like arseholes but not bothered about the English :grinning:

1 Like

I think she was alluding to a cross-section of the two! (We both grew up in England, got a bit of the old pull up the ladder mentality going on). Just such a marked difference from being an actual Welsh-language place.

1 Like

South Birmingham

Hare & Hounds - Kings Heath
The Dark Horse - Moseley
Wild Cat Tap - Stirchley
The Paper Duck - Harborne
Old Moseley Arms - Balsall Heath

1 Like

Agreed with Nestor

The Cumberland Arms
Free Trade
Crown Posada

stand above all the others

then

The Tyne Bar - TSW
The Ship - Nice fire
The Bridge Hotel - big hotel pubs always wow me even if the drinks are rubbish.
St Theresa’s Club - cheap, free pool table, scratch card machine

Mixed feelings but will go to

The Bridge Tavern - :-1:bougie. weird smell. too busy. :+1: sitting under the tyne bridge is a nice experience

Box Social :-1: seats hurt my bum a bit :+1: strong cider :+1: rumble of trains overhead

1 Like

going to York this weekend, had HoTM on my list (if I can get in) and Brew York but hadn’t considered the others - the Blue Bell is the one with the twatty locals only attitude right? thought that had closed down. otherwise the plan was

The Phoenix
Rook & Gaskill! (nearly forgot)
Pivni

some other selection of random average pubs like the golden slipper, eagle & child, guy fawkes… whatever really

Been meaning to try the Paper Duck for ages

Its not the most eye catching venue but makes up for that in the range of beers and the really nice staff that work there. Definitely worth a vist.

1 Like

Went in to kill half hour before the red arrow last time I was in Derby, bloke got talking to me and asked if I wanted to go to his to play a golf game on his Xbox. Nice fella.

3 Likes

Bacchus is quite nice for a spot of city centre drinking too.

Trent House used to be great but now it’s a flat, atmosphereless void.

I was in St Theresa’s the other week and it was sadly dying on its arse. The barmaid was begging me to bring my friends in. Little did she know I don’t have any.

1 Like

Blue Bell’s got a “no groups” policy (which tbh is fair enough given how small it is/how many stag and hen parties there are) but it’s defo not locals only. Me and my gf are by no means local and we always get a friendly welcome, and plenty of tourists go as well. Definitely my favourite pub in York, though admittedly the vibe isn’t for everyone.

Tbh I wouldn’t even bother with HoTM at weekends, it’ll be heaving unless you go very early or very late. Golden Ball by the station is great, The Habit is alright in the evening. York Taps if you’re getting the train is worth stopping in at/getting to the station for your train back early.

1 Like

Yeah I go in after work on a Saturday and it’s usually dead. I can sort of imagine it doing really well. Like how the Irish centre’s always full of cool young people.

Is the Irish Centre trendy now? Fond memories of work christmas parties in that place.

That and the Labour club near there where I saw the Futureheads.