The Best Thing / The Worst Thing. Thread 1: Aeroplanes / Airports ✈

I get all that but it’s all negated by the fact that you are finally at your destination and the whole flight thing is over.

Flying is mindless bliss compared to that palaver.

That taxing run, though, particularly at Heathrow. Fucking hell, you’re in your seats and it seems like the pilot’s just decided to take you on a guided tour of the whole fucking airport.

1 Like

I think that Gatwick and Luton are, by a long stretch, the worst examples I’ve seen.

Many of the ones in the US are bad too, but other European cities and Asian cities do it so much better than the UK.

I’m just not a fan of travel journeys whether plane, train or automobile. Means to end and that’s it for me.

Best: pre-flight excitement, nobody judging you for drinking a beer pre-10am, sense of timelessness because nobody expects anything of you

Worst: smell. Also when you have to get a bus from the plane to the terminal. Always annoys me for some reason.

that people were ever allowed to smoke on (aero)planes is hard to believe

Have I mentioned I’m going to Japan tomorrow :grin:

Think I’ve improved my general airport experience by about 200% by paying extra for the airport parking that allows you to walk from your car to the terminal. The fucking bus that takes you to the shitmuncher car parks is probably the most miserable part of the entire airport experience.

(Although last time I overdid it and went full wanker and paid to have my car valeted while it was there. They used up nearly 200 miles worth of diesel on blasting the heating and listening to Heart.FM on the DAB and left me with a basically empty tank. Had to limp to the nearest petrol station at 25 mph at 11 o’clock on a Sunday night, praying the car would make it.)

Big fan of stepping off the plane at your destination and getting hit by a wall of heat. The holiday has officially begun.

3 Likes

jet fuel (and chemicals for the chemtrails obviously)

Really? Rome, Milan, Budapest, Prague, Dublin, Faro, Pisa, pretty much anywhere seems like it has this. Gatwick I don’t even think is so bad in comparison because it’s kind of in the countryside. Luton is a fucking irredeemable shithole though,

it’s different for personal and business for me.

best thing - getting places fast
worst thing - queueing/ignorant cunts with no self awareness

Literally never happened to me ever. In fact, I don’t think I’ve travelled in First Class on any mode of transport.

2 Likes

You’re right - fixed that :slight_smile:

1 Like

talk about, pop music!

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s the worst airport I’ve ever travelled through for this. I’ll probably be doing Skopje in Macedonia this year and I’m still pretty sure Luton will top it.

AND A WIN FOR MY HOME TEAM!

Asian airports I’ve been in a fair amount: Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, and they both look nice enough but they aren’t great to spend time in.

Singapore has a particular issue in that there’s the gate with loads of seating (and charging points) but they only open the fucker a few minutes before the flight and you need to go through security to get in. So the majority of your hours of waiting you’re just outside sitting on the floor.

For Malaysia it’s a similar setup but they also have some weird aspects: they have a soft play, but you can’t get to it if you’re transferring, that’s a completely different part of the complex and it’s not a great place to hang around.

I have a feeling Bangkok is a similarly crazy setup as Singapore and we all spent hours in a cold high up point with no seats waiting until they let us into the warm gate area with seats, a few mins before we had to get on the plane. (EDIT for clarity: this happened and I think it must have been Bangkok but it’s hard to remember a mid-Australia flight with any great detail beyond discomforts.)

were you attracted to macedonia by those ads for doing business in macedonia?