I did one of these a couple of months ago about planes. It’s the turn of trains today.
- I actually like the physical act of being on a train: the generally smooth journey, less stopping and starting than buses or cars;
- I like being able to put music on and stare out of the window and (even at this age) pretend it’s a music video or the start of some arthouse film;
- it feels good not to drive. I can relax, read a book, post on DiS; also I can get into cities quicker than by car;
- I like taking my daughters on trains- my eldest is particularly enthusiastic about them
- other members of the public, mainly. (I am checking my male privilege as I’ve maybe had someone strike up unwanted conversation with me twice in ten years of commuting)
- weird fare-charging system: arbitrarily cheap and expensive. Rifling through Nationalrail.co.uk for an advance fare can be a chore.