The Biggest Personal Fall From Grace

Bright Eyes. Doubtlessly due to growing up a bit, but I was obsessed with Letting Off the Happiness/Fevers/Lifted and all the surrounding EPs when I was in my teens and early twenties - then he started trying to be the new Neil Young. Obviously I’m Wide Awake is a good album but it was moving away from what I loved about him, I just felt he lost his mystique. The follow up was bland and by The People’s Key (which does have a couple of great tunes on) I’d largely moved on. His sound is so wrapped up with my teens, and I still think of his voice and delivery as being very youthful, and so I don’t think it fits with the more mature stylings of his solo records (although his self titled and Ruminations were decent). Possibly someone coming to his music now afresh may have a different view, but for me his peak was 2000-2005.

3 Likes

I think that Zooropa is their best album by miles :+1:

5 Likes

Being accused of rape - which he has denied and hasn’t been charged for - can hardly be said to be a choice he has made. Mark K is a deliberate arse though. And, as a result, I still listen to Swans but listen to Mark less.

1 Like

I have also taken endless piss-taking from my pals when i tell them that i love early 90s ‘Achtung Baby’/‘Zooropa’ period U2.

2 Likes

I have not gone back over it. My recollection was that he didn’t deny getting completely obsessed over her, etc. It didn’t sound like he was in a good way.

1 Like

Eh? Those two albums are the only time U2 have been interesting. Some great songs and albums in the 80s, but early 90s was interesting U2.

2 Likes

I actually think that Zooropa was the beginning of the decline. They seemed to be fiddling around for the sake of it. Yet that album has “Lemon” so it’s not a total loss.

Yeah, the very first things I heard from The White Stripes were Suzy Lee and Stop Breakin’ Down from an Evening Session so I bought the first three albums really quickly. When Elephant came out I thought it was kind of a lazy/patchy album. Can’t stand solo Jack White.

1 Like

I agree! I love the Zoo TV/Zooropa period U2. However, some of my friends just think they are awful full stop and can’t understand my love of this period.

get behind me satan was fine but that last album with the bagpipes and stuff, ffffffuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiinnnnnggggggghhhhheeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllll

Rolo Tomassi were the band that got me interested in heavy/DIY music but their newer stuff just isn;t doing anything for me and were not great last time I saw them (was a while ago at a festival, but still)

Zooropa is my favourite U2 album!

3 Likes

I think Achtung Baby is better, but Zooropa is great.

5 Likes

I can accept this opinion :+1:

That period from Achtung Baby up to an including Pop and the Passengers album, and even their Batman Forever song, I really liked U2 (having thought they were dross both before and afterwards). The genre mixing and imagery and massive live shows felt like what you should be doing if you were the biggest band in the world rather than playing it safe…

3 Likes

not my favourites, ever, but I really liked Turin Brakes. yes I did.

4 Likes

Dark on Fire and Outbursts are good. The recent one is a bit weak.

I was a massive fan around the time of The Optimist LP, stuck around for Ether Song but I don’t think I even listened to the third album. Turin Brakes with I Am Kloot supporting was my first ever gig aged 13 and my parents only let me go because my older brother agreed to take me.

2 Likes

ah see now Rolo Tomassi I find a lot more interesting now they’ve packed in the silly nintendocore stuff

1 Like

Rolf Harris.

“Two Little Boys” now just sounds creepy.

2 Likes

the nintendocore was the best bit

1 Like