The Bill Withers Challenge

How long can you hold the note for “Day” in the chorus of the song “Lovely Day”?

There’s just one rule, and that is that you need to sing the whole chorus leading up to that point.

The instrumental version you can use to back you can be found here

Then it’s just

Then I look at you
And the world’s alright with me
Just one look at you
And I know it’s gonna be
A lovely daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :musical_note::notes:

3 Likes

I’ll kick us off with my attempt: 51 seconds.

9 Likes

Thread title sounds like a pro celebrity golf tournament

3 Likes

Impressive! Used to do this challenge in the car as a wee lad but not sure I ever hit fiddy seconds

1 Like

Pretty happy with that, although i think i was better at this as a kid. Your timing issues at the start are v off-putting btw.

1 Like

“That was Bill Withers, who thankfully is still… with us”

7 Likes

No way can you do 50 seconds

Bahaha!!! Like 10 secs :blush:

1 Like

19 seconds and it was a thin warble

1 Like

Managed to eke out 43 seconds before I started choking

1 Like

Nailed it :smiley:

2 Likes

In all seriousness, my throat is too croaky to compete in the Bill Withers challenge today. I’ve learned that it takes a lot more air to make a decent note when you’re struggling with a cold. At best I managed about 18 seconds. I’ll have another go in a few days!

It’s so hard not to laugh, so good, you cracked up after like a second! :smiley:

Put it in the microwave until its…

4 Likes

I had a quick proper listen to this. Beautiful vid of you doing it. What a pair of lungs. I can get maybe 20 seconds?