The Book Thread Of Year '19

books

Oh it’s such a wonderful book!

jeffrey eugenides? i love his style. middlesex is so, so good. one of those writers who doesn’t fuck around. i have a copy of the virgin suicides that’s held together with tape cos i’ve read it through so much.

Yeah, although it took a while to read and was pretty slow going, I can’t remember savouring a book like this for such a long time, it made me think a heck of a lot, it gave me emotional reactions I very rarely get from reading, it totally sucked me in.

Definitely want to read his other novels now, I’ve seen the film of Virgin Suicides and enjoyed that a lot.

Yes but how do you cope with this

i think i blanked it from my mind, i simply don’t know what the fuck to make of “otter insulation”

:grimacing:

That thread is incredible, especially

“Standing with her [Isabel] in the warming waterfall, soaping her skin so its yielding silk was overlaid with a white grease, and then letting her soap him [Tristão] in turn, he felt his cashew become a banana, and then a rippled yam, bursting with weight.” - Brazil, John Updike

:sweat_smile:

Read this over Christmas, it’s an incredible book. Was also reading The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee (a pop sci book about the history of genetics which I would also thoroughly recommend) at the same time which provided quite a nice counterpoint.

It’s the only Eugenides I’ve read, so looking forward to reading his other novels at some point.

The new book which was part of my secret santa present. Heard some very good things about it and the start is extremely promising.

2019!

#1. Homo Deus - Brilliant. Does a very good job at simplifying quite complicated ideas. Some pretty terrifying predictions about the future too. Hooray

#2. Sapiens - as above, really enjoyed it. I really like the way he writes. I’ve definitely already forgotten a lot of it as there is so much to absorb, but it’ll be something to dip back into every now and again. Also what a disgusting bunch of pricks humans, especially us lot, are hey?

#3 The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs - DINOSAURS! This was such a great read. Did it in 4 days I think. Again, some quite complicated procedures and processes explained very clearly for my tiny brain… Speaking of which.

Now Reading

#4 Flowers For Algernon - Only 30 pages in but I’m pretty floored by how strong it’s been so far. he’s just realised everyone has been making fun of him his whole life. I’ve got something in my eye :frowning:

@Cervantes @keith Bloody loved this book by the way!

In, say, 95% of literary circumstances is there much of a need to describe sex scenes in detail? Would there be any difference if they were all replaced by “they went into the bedroom and made love, for a bit”?

Just give it the Hays Code treatment. I don’t think I’ve ever watched an classic Hollywood film and gone “I enjoyed the insinuation that they banged but would’ve been better to have actually seen Cary Grant pummelling from behind”.

(Casablanca of course is an exception to this owing to the fact you can, supposedly, watch 2 different films if you diverge on whether or not Bogart and Bergman’s characters actually had sex in it)

I remember a seabound orgy in Gravity’s Rainbow being one of the most gleefully stupid and audaciously detailed (if I remember right, it was used to frame a number of smaller vignettes?) bits of that novel.

I don’t think I’m far off it on my re-read so I’ll find out what I thought

So excited for Limmy’s autobiography in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps it was that scene that caused that lad on here to weep openly upon finishing it.

I mean I could be wildly out of depth because I’ve not read a novel in about 8 years, and I’m unsure if I’ve ever read one with detailed hanky panky in it, but I do remember being perturbed by the sharing of the sex passage from Morrissey’s debut novel in which the phrase “barrel roll” was used. Really caught me off guard that.

picturing Morrissey playing Star Fox 64 now

Don’t really agree with his politics but I’ve been reading John Gilligham’s book on the EU.

It’s kind of skewed towards neoliberal solutions to the EU’s current issues, basically every single improvement is essentially best developed through market competition and loosening regulations, but some of the suggestions as far as reforming the function of certain institutions within the EU and making transparent the links between lobbying and the commission are actually quite sensible.

Totally with you on this, both on paper and on screen… I find the suggestion way more powerful than bad camera work on naked writhing limbs or some hopeless sap trying to find the words…

WTAF
What book is this?

The Virgin Suicides - which I really enjoyed otherwise! That is maybe the worst paragraph I’ve eve read though.