General Reading / Book Thread for 2019

“disgusting piece of shit”
Piers Morgan

2 Likes

Got this yesterday. About sixty pages in so far and I’m really enjoying it. Will probably finish it in no time.

2 Likes

does anyone read multiple books at the same time

Only when i cant really be arsed with any of them, plus some books i’m basically always re-reading on the backburner (LOTR)

i think the internet has splintered my brain. can’t focus on one book anymore, end up kind of channel surfing between a couple. takes so long to finish them this way.

1 Like

Yes. I have at least three books on the go at the moment (maybe four.) I’ve always been this way though.

1 Like

yeah, I thought exactly the same thing about this book too

need to read more true crime really

i feel guilty about abandoning a book for something else if it gets boring or i lose interest but it has to be done

Books have to be pretty shocking for me to abandon them, i’m a finisher

7 Likes

If i’m gonna abandon then i’ll do it in the first 20 or 30 pages.

Recently bought a book by an ex-FBI agent turned author which i abandoned in the first paragraph. Really gotta learn to get the free sample first.

1 Like

the guilt always gets the better of me eventually, and i’ll finish it somehow. end up forgetting what’s happened up to that point tho.

1 Like

I have three on the go! One is the new Murakami which tbf I’ve not touched in four weeks… so probably just two :slight_smile:

1 Like

How far did you get?

200 pages, I think. It did seem although it may have been about to get going plot wise. Up until then it’d been an absolute slog.

Ive been trying to read during any spare moment - an hour at lunch, forty minutes on the train, a little before bed. I was actually resenting reading it. I’m waiting on a couple of library books so I may give it a bash again.

It just felt so stale.

Ha funny that, i really liked the first 1/3rd but thought it got progressively worse. But yeah i guess it should get going more soonish.

:smile: it’s also a really heavy hard back, which adds to my frustration.

Read Convenience Store Woman last week. Liked it a lot.

Finished The Alice Project over the weekend which is not really my style of book but a good read, good strong female characters which I always like.

Now on Black Eyed Susan’s. So far seems ok.

I love Celeste Ng. Fabulous writing, such truths are told.

Have you read Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie? Love her writing too, and Miriam Toews

1 Like

Ah yeah i just kindled it, cannae be fucked with hardbacks

1 Like

I haven’t read anything by either but will rectify that! I’m reading Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan at the moment, enjoying it so far.

2 Likes