The Brian Jonestown Massacre

See them about a lot, they seem quite prolific.

Are they any good? Where’s a good place to jump in? I quite like jerky, krauty stuff.

only got famous cause of Anton being a bit of a dick

The Methodrone album’s good hazy shoegaziness with strong driving rhythms:

they have some great tracks, but so much subpar material.

granted, I haven’t checked out much of their post-90s stuff, but it was such a pain to sift through. Easily the most over-rated band in the psych scene (and shoegaze too for that matter; Methodrone completely falls off in the second half and isn’t even shoegaze to boot!)

Get the 2 disc collection - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland. It’s fantastic.

For recent stuff - Aufheben and Revelation are both excellent.

Revelation is a top notch album. Really consistent quality throughout. My personal fave is Strung Out in Heaven as the band all sound fucked and that album sounds like it will collapse at any given moment but somehow it all hangs on in there. Some great stuff on it.

They can be really good live too.

The Cosmosis Festival in Manchester last year was in many ways a washout, but they were one of three bands who stopped it from being a total drag. It was packed, the crowd was surging throughout, the music was dreamy, and the air was thick and herbal - it was like a heady slow motion moshpit!

In no particular order

Anenome
You look great when I’m fucked up
Food for clouds
Illumiomi
Tschusse
Let’s pretend that it’s summer
Dropping bombs on the Whitehouse

When they’re good, there’s almost no-one better, but quality control is a serious concern

UK Tour. Excited. The Roundhouse show was excellent a few years back. For a band (well, Anton) famously so uncompromising, they were rather obliging with the hits

October 11 - Brighton, Concorde 2
October 13 - Falmouth, Princess Pavilion
October 14 - Bristol, Motion
October 16 - Birmingham, O2 Academy
October 17 - Glasgow, Barrowland
October 21 - Newcastle, Northumbria Institute
October 22 - Sheffield, The Leadmill
October 23 - London, O2 Forum Kentish Town