The Christmas Song Canon

What was the last song to successfully make it into the Xmas Song Canon? Feels like there hasn’t been one for ages. Mariah Carey “All I want for Xmas” maybe?

Is canon even an appropriate word for what I mean? I mean the list of Xmas songs that have become absolutely standard (Slade, Wizard, Wham, The Waitresses)

This should be an interesting thread.

Darkness

9 Likes
2 Likes

You think that’s in there? It has been OCCASIONALLY cropping up.

Stuff doesn’t go straight into the CANON. Like the Waitresses is a relatively recent addition compared to how long it’s been out.

That’s a good one. I don’t think it’s QUITE canon yet but it’s edging it’s way in there. That said I heard it on Asda FM three years ago so maybe you’re right.

Leona Lewis or that Underneath The Tree shite.

2 Likes

I would say The Christmas Unicorn by Sufjan Stevens. Can’t avoid it at this time of year!

It’s just great, always goes down well at a festive party :grinning::+1:

1 Like

It’s even in a Xmas film over here!

Correct answer.

Leona Lewis’ One More Sleep should have damnit, because its brilliant, but seems to have already been forgotten.

2 Likes

Had a debate the other day about whether or not the term “Crimbo” as a slang for Christmas existed before the Avid Merrion / Bo Selecta song, Proper Crimbo came out in 2003.

• Bo Selecta invented the term Crimbo
  • Crimbo was an abbreviation for Christmas before that song came out

0 voters

hate this word so much.

3 Likes

It’s an awful word but it definitely predates Bo Selecta.

3 Likes

Reckon the Killer’s Don’t Shoot Me Santa has made any headway?

8 Likes

Incidentally the most recent canon Christmas film is Elf, and I say that as someone who doesn’t even like Elf.

1 Like

I saw one of these the other day that is McCartney’s Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time except every lyric is “The moon is right”, and it’s been in my head for a week, it’s destroying me.

3 Likes

I watched it again this weekend, it’s a very strange film, it doesn’t even have an antagonist or sense of peril until the last 10 minutes when it’s totally manufactured out of nowhere.