The correct procedure for brushing your teeth

We need to get this sorted once and for all as I keep seeing mistakes being made.

The correct procedure

1. Squeeze a pea-sized blob of toothpaste onto the bristles of your toothbrush.

2. Begin brushing your teeth*. Note that you’re not wetting your loaded brush under the tap prior to this. Just go straight in.
    *Circular motion. Start on the top row. Visualise the surface areas of your teeth so you don’t miss any bits: front, back, tops of molars. Repeat for the bottom.
    Important: keep your mouth closed throughout this step.

3. Turn on the tap and spit the contents of your mouth down the plughole.

4. Use the tongue cleaner feature (or the bristles if your toothbrush lacks this) of your toothbrush to scrape your tongue. Reach as far back as possible to begin with - this will likely activate your gag reflex if you’re doing it properly. Scrape the remainder of the tongue.

5. Rinse your brush under the tap, ensuring there’s no toothpaste stuck in the bristles. Once satisfied, perform a whipping action towards the sink with your brush a few times to get as much water off of it as you’re able. Return the brush to its original location.

6. Wet your fingers under the tap, and use this to wipe away any residue from around your mouth. This should be fairly minimal due to keeping your mouth closed throughout step 2. Rinse your fingers.

7. Dry your hand with a towel. If necessary, wipe away any water remaining around your mouth with your hand, then dry your hand again.

That’s it.

My dentist told me off for using mouthwash directly after brushing my teeth. Very weird.

What. Why?

1 Like

Congratulations on the pea sized amount been saying this for years.

Not sure on the dry brush though…

Reckon there’s some logic to that as you want the fluoride etc from brushing to remain on your enamel, protecting it. But then it begs the question of when is mouthwash meant to be used then.

Gets rid of the fluoride on your teeth. Same way that you shouldn’t rinse with water either.

I was like “when are you supposed to use mouthwash then?” and she said “after lunch” which seems bonkers to me

3 Likes

Reckon mouthwash might just be a big swizz.

Mine said the same

Maybe we have the same dentist

Nervous Portuguese lady?

Mine would have said the same, had I had such a conversation with a dentist, because it’s CORRECT.

I brush my teeth for:

• Less than a minute
  • 1 - 2 minutes
  • 2 - 3 minutes
  • 3 - 4 minutes
  • 4 - 5 minutes
  • over 5 minutes

0 voters

No thank you

1 Like

I’ve never looked into it, but i tend to stop after a long slow vibrate of the electric brush. This is after 3 short slow vibrates, which I presume happen every 30 seconds, giving me 2 minutes of brushing, but it might be more like one minute, who knows? Impossible to tell, really.

2 Likes

Been bugging me this recently, I’ve not looked into what they mean as I can’t be bothered finding the manual. I don’t know what it’s trying to tell me.

1 Like

I tend to go between 3 and 4, I’ll put a song on Spotify in that length and when the song ends, so does the brushing

It’s impossible to know.

To shift quadrants

I do:

Top row of teeth
Bottom row of teeth
Top gums
Bottom gums

Then the same order but for the other side of the teeth

You got a teethbrushing playlist or something?