The Cure listening Club

Sure. I’ll be putting the Siouxsie listening club on hold for Christmas so I can do a one off week in the new year.

1 Like

I’ve really struggled with lots of music since Mimi Parker passed away, but for some reason the cure have been one of the few bands I’ve wanted to reach for…… Anyway, I’ve always liked the cure (seen them a couple of times too) but never explored much more than the big albums. However, this thread has been a revelation! Why have I never spent much time with Faith and Seventeen Seconds before?! They’re 2 of the greatest records I’ve ever heard.

So, today I managed to snag a resale ticket to the Leeds gig in a couple of weeks and I can’t remember being this excited for a show in a long time.

Thanks everyone for the great work on this thread.

11 Likes

I’ve been listening to it for 30 years and it still gets better with every listen, just utter musical perfection.

3 Likes

If this club is being reopened for the Wish remaster (hurray!) I’ll save my nerdier thoughts but just want to say I really love the Cut demo, a nice and worthwhile alt version. I always enjoyed the frenzy of the album version with the wah wah, rapid drumming and ominous strings but there’s none of it on the demo where Gallup carries the melody, you can tell it was done straight off the back of Disintegration, really like the more weary way Rob sings it too.

1 Like

It will.

3 Likes

My thoughts on last night. Spoiler: I loved it!

3 Likes

Ridiculously excited about seeing them tomorrow night now!

I keep having this weird Mandela Effect thing where I think I’ve seen The Cure live before (I definitely haven’t) and then remember I was just standing in front of stage left, absolutely mashed, watching The Others play at some festival in 2005.

4 Likes

Absolutely loved them at Leeds, second time I’ve seen them after Glastonbury and possibly enjoyed this time even more

The splitting of the sets works so well - the last 45 minutes or so was so euphoric. I do feel there were a lot of casual Cure fans there that struggled with that first couple of hours though

Pleasantly surprised to see the Last Day of Summer off Bloodflowers, had forgotten what a great track that is

2 Likes

Went last night and had a great time time despite being way further down the casual end of the Cure fan spectrum than most in this thread.

Dunno if it’s been mentioned in here already but fair play to the GBOL for keeping their merch affordable too. I thought the days of £20 shirts at arena shows were long gone.

4 Likes

Thought the posters for £12.50 were a bargain too. Especially considering the size and the cool silver inks etc.
One of the very rare times me and Mrs TWI each bought a tee and got a poster to frame.

3 Likes

You got Faith :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Cracking show, wasn’t it? I think my favourite moment was just after Last Day of Summer ended and Bob said, “fuck that’s bleak.” Nice to know he still has that reaction at the end of some of their tracks too.

6 Likes

Had his voice recovered from the night before?

He was sounding great right up till the last couple of songs where it started to fail a bit (he said he wished he’d written Friday I’m In Love in a lower register and did an impromptu Johnny Cash style verse). Those are the songs the crowd does most of the singing for anyhow so we got very lucky!

3 Likes

Got a resale ticket for the 2nd London gig and am ridiculously excited! Been listening to them all week, really are one of the greatest aren’t they

4 Likes

I’m supposed to be at Wembley this evening but instead am in bed at my parents’ with flu :face_with_thermometer::sob:

That sucks :frowning:
Get well soon.

1 Like

That sucks immensely ):

Spent the morning wandering around in the snow listening to Seventeen Seconds, Faith and Paris.
It was lovely. :relaxed:

10 Likes

Tis the season to get your nice headphones out. :wink: