The diplomatic immunity row

I remember this. No way was that anything other than wreckless

It’s the only thing I can say in a really authentic south african accent.

Yeah, sure - like I said, this has raised broader questions in my mind about how we punish people and why.

Have you watched I Love You, Now Die? It’s just been put on NowTv and will get you QUESTIONING

idk, I think there should have at least been an inquiry with the offender there to answer questions etc, as opposed to hightailing it back to the US. someone died, let’s not forget.

also, I think the application of justice thing and whether or not diplomatic immunity has been abused here are two different arguments. If I’m advocating for the person to have remained in the country in order to co-operate with an investigation, i’m not necessarily advocating that they should be locked up for whatever crime that may or may not have occurred. i basically think it sets a bad precedent, and is yet another example of the elite in society getting away with whatever they feel like.

5 Likes

watched this a few weeks back, there’s no way she should’ve gone to jail for that, i mean it was morally fucked up but no one gains from her being imprisoned

afaik it isn’t a diplomatic immunity row anymore because they couldn’t really establish if she actually had it and that’s not relevant anyway since she went home

I don’t get what you’re saying here.

yeah, I definitely understand what you’re saying, and that something like this could potentially have wider political motives behind it, and that’s why diplomatic immunity exists.

i’m just not 100% convinced that’s what’s going on here.

Lawyers advising Dunn’s family have disputed whether or not Sacoolas ever had a right to diplomatic immunity. But the foreign secretary, Dominic Raab, wrote to them on Saturday to say that Sacoolas’s immunity was now irrelevant as she had returned home.

“We have pressed strongly for a waiver of immunity, so that justice can be done … Whilst the US government has steadfastly declined to give that waiver, that is not the end of the matter,” the letter read.

“We have looked at this very carefully … the UK government’s position is that immunity, and therefore any question of waiver, is no longer relevant in Mrs Sacoolas’s case, because she has returned home. The US have now informed us that they too consider that immunity is no longer pertinent.”

still reckon those Russian lads were just in Salisbury on their hols.

8 Likes

the UK has really fucked it on this front recently tbh - letting dangerous American drivers flee the country, AND arresting the wrong Frenchman at the airport.

sort it out.

The only other thing I can say is:
“But… you’re blick.”

I agree actually! It was such an interesting documentary and such an interesting case cause the whole time you’re like well he wouldn’t have done X without her and then he probably would have done it and so many other factors that we didn’t know (I’d read the story in the way the news had portrayed it). SO GOOD.

1 Like

“a black bra, with white bits” is a good south african accent test sentence

aye i think the fact he’d had multiple suicide attempts in the previous years (even before he’d met her) points to the fact that he was trying over a sustained period of time to end his life, still can’t get my head round the fact that they convicted her, also the judge’s final speech where he claimed he’d “reached this decision by setting aside all emotion relating to the case”, bullshit!

Yeah without knowing any details/talking crap, it feels like the Second Amendment. Useful and important in the particular circumstances for which it’s meant to apply, but has been warped so far from the original purpose as to be absurd.

If she had diplomatic immunity why did she fuck off back to America? Why would she not aid the police with their enquiries?

I guess she’s traumatised and wants to be with her family, but so is the kid’s family and they deserve answers.

think it was unclear whether she actually did have diplomatic immunity or not

So she was pre-emptively running away from justice?

1 Like