🎬 The DiS Top 75 Director List

Also has the general benefit of being a good film

1 Like

I do too, but he has a real way with him. Big Trouble in Little China feels like one you’d dog a lot too, TBH.

2 Likes

stop winging and go and watch the Conversation or something until you learn to like it

what films do you like from the 70s, or even not the 70s and we could maybe recommend some stuff???

3 Likes

Don’t worry I’m mostly playing it up for effect - there’s plenty of 70s ones I enjoy or love! It’s just, taking a very sweeping overview, I don’t like the atmosphere and aesthetic of the 70s canon as much as the canon from any other decade, often just too dark and slow and brooding for me

that’s the most 80s one of all!

1 Like

I think probably my highlight of the DiS meat on Saturday was telling @ericVI that he’s a pretentious film wanker to his face. Immensely satisfying,

11 Likes

Is Escape from LA worth a watch if you really loved NY?

• Y
  • N

0 voters

14 - David Fincher

• Zodiac
  • The Social Network
  • Se7en
  • Gone Girl
  • Benjamin Button
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Fight Club
  • The Game
  • Panic Room
  • Alien 3
  • Other
  • None

0 voters

4 Likes

Not really sure it is.

That list is an incredible group of films that are all sorts of groundbreaking.

I mean they made a (presumably bad) remake of The Thing after 30 years despite it never being the hugest film ever and Halloween must have some stake in beginning a whole genre? Without Dark Star would we have Alien?

What a list of films that are genuinely just a joy to watch. 15 is maybe too low if anything.

8 Likes

Fincher is good

8 Likes

Se7en is a really very good film

5 Likes

Best Fincher: The music video for Vogue

2 Likes

I think Fincher is incredible.

I’ve not seen Benjamin Button and Alien 3 is obviously just a dull script and he did his best, but otherwise what a film maker.

The Mindhunter S2 opening 3 where he was directing were off the hook.

2 Likes

Lol
Imagine giving a shit about any of these though

Se7ens the sort of film your uncle recommends on vhs

Came here to post this

1 Like

Struggling to pick one here, as I don’t dislike any of them (yes, even Benjamin Button) and rate a few of them really highly. Gone with Se7en, but could easily have picked any of Fight Club, The Game or Alien 3 (yes, really).

We’re into the realms of this poll that I can actually take part now. I.e. the directors I have actually seen films by.

1 Like

Preferred Adam and Joe’s Se7en

1 Like

Who’s uncle?

Social Network is really underrated. And Zodiac is basically a masterpiece. Love him.

5 Likes