The DiS Writers Thread - Results

here’s some but not all:

. education
. the past and legacies
. pretentiousness
. sitting still and concentrating for ages
. waterstones

which one did you include?

i started reading some Ibsen stuff last year but put it down and forgot about it. need to get back to it as i was quite enjoying it

Bloke who does the sports pages in the Guardian, presumably :wink:

Say what you like about Waterstones but it smells fantastic

8 Likes

:medal_sports:

3 Likes

I remember it smelling neutral but I haven’t been inside one for years

1 Like

Now picturing someone sitting with a piece of sheet music and just reading it. Do people do that?

it can stand for the opposite of all those things too

(the opposite of waterstones is jjb sports)

2 Likes

i’ll give you this one

pretentiousness depends on the book/author

the rest are fine

think it’s really presumptive to try and educate people though isn’t it and the idea of canons and schools of thought. gross

I reckon some people do, when they can read the notation well enough to hear it in their minds.

anyway I feel better now I’ve got that off my chest :slight_smile:

These are all things to do with literary culture, not books themselves

3 Likes

Ok see the thing is, this thread is for discussing our personal favourite writers and the ways in which they bring us joy (and sometimes frustration).

5 Likes

That would be a cool skill to have

1 Like

yeah that’s fine enjoy your thread!

2 Likes

Would be pretty awesome

2 Likes

i love a stroll around Waterstones. that reminds me my loyalty card is full so i should decide on something to spend my free tenner on.

i temped there a few Christmasses ago and then for quite a few months after i hated going in as i always felt obliged to make awkward small talk with the staff (even though they were all lovely and i really liked them). was upsetting having to avoid the place for so long.

2 Likes

i think it’s nice that people can decide to educate themselves by buying a book of their own accord.

3 Likes

sure but they’d be better off educating themselves by writing a book imo. Never mind though I’m not the be all and end all of opinions