The DiS Writers Thread - Results

“Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him.”

And this opening paragraph is just stunning:

“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.”

8 Likes

@Parsefone, you sadist!

In seriousness, I would be interested in hearing from someone who highly rates Something Happened, simply because - as much as I respect it - I think it’s definitely partly to blame for me feeling very very bad about the world for about a year

it was a joke. I got about halfway through that one and gave up.

2 Likes

Catch 22 is obviously an incredible piece of work but I’ve also read Good as Gold and Something Happened and fuck me are those boring books, so I can only assume people are largely voting on Catch 22 alone.

I was slightly worried for your outlook on the world for a second there

Goddam fireflies! Time to get my ass outta Connecticut!

25 Likes

In my head I heard this in Samuel L Jacksons voice a la Snakes On A Plane :rofl:

:+1:

1 Like

People always assume I’m a huge Gaiman fan for some reason. I do want to read Sandman at some point, though. I’ve only read Norse Mythology by him so far, but I thought he made it all sound almost boring.

IMO he’s a very good and imaginative storyteller, but not a particularly great writer, if that makes sense?

He should just pitch his story ideas to better writers.

1 Like

I nearly voted for her. Really enjoyed Postcards and The Shipping News.

1 Like

i didn’t like american gods at all

going to give his norse book a shot though

“It was the day my grandmother exploded.”

9 Likes

One of the all time greats, this.

1 Like

“It was in that moment that I first noticed the seagrapes of her lungs; the culvert of her kidneys; the brevity of her oesophagus.”

2 Likes

This lad better be in the top 20 or ahm oot.

2 Likes

Probably my #1, although unfortunately I did not vote :grimacing:

Okay, I have a confession…on my spreadsheet I didn’t use the first column…which meant I have only counted 99 writers. To fix this…we will now drop from No. 16 to 14…and the real No. 100 who originally missed out is…

Tove Jansson!

Up the Moomins

25 Likes

I don’t like catchy or memorable opening lines. They should be as boring and as off-putting as possible. That’s real literature!

4 Likes

I feel your pain.