The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster

One of the most fun live bands you could ever witness imho

I briefly worked at HMV in Angel and apparently the bassist’s mum would order at least 30 copies of everything they put out :face_holding_back_tears:

also

10 Likes

I think they have had a few guitarists. The original guitarist Andy Huxley did his own thing as vile imbeciles after leaving EMBLD. Back in the mid to late 00’s I had a job where I would train outsourced call centres to take calls for the company I work for. I was at a call centre in Brighton and in one of the training groups was a tall goth looking chap dressed very distinctively. I was taking to him and mentioned he looked a bit like the Horrors to which he scowled, and said that he knew them and they had ripped their style from his old band. Then he went on to say it was 80s matchbox and we had a nice chat about that, but I felt bad that he was temping in a call centre.

5 Likes

Saw them once around the time of Horse of the Dog. Was an utterly wild gig! A load of old blokes started a scary mosh pit at the front. Was a bit frightened to be honest.

Still listen to them now and again. Great band!!

I used to work with a guy who was in 80s Matchbox at (I think probably) the same call centre. He wasn’t tall though, so maybe a different member. Absolutely lovely guy, and a very good painter / artist too.

1 Like

I enjoyed them a lot. Only saw them once, with New Model Army and Turbonegro in Birmingham. Was a good night.

1 Like

Listening to the album now on the bus. Still very good.

Might be me misremembering that he was tall, only met him once and it would have been 15 years ago. If it was a call centre in Brighton seems likely. Yeah, he seemed nice, as soon as I said I’d seen his band at glasto and my favourite 80’s matchbox song was rise of the eagles, which he said was “one of his” we got on

never really listened to them at the time but i bought that album in Poundland at the start of the year

Great band, would love to finally see them

I WANNA FLY LIKE AN EAGLE
I WANNA SING LIKE SINATRA
I GOT A DATE WITH DESTRUCTION
I WANNA LOVE LIKE A MOTHER

7 Likes

man i haven’t listened to this album in forever. not sure how well i knew the first one, will need to go back to it.

1 Like

my thoughts exactly, so I’ve just stuck it on!

1 Like

very enjoyable!

Im going to treat myself and listen to them today. Great band!

1 Like

been listening to both albums loads again now they’re both back on spotify. would love to see a reunion gig.

1 Like

Nanageddon Is definitely their best song.

Did enjoy that debut, back in the day.

Was too late to see them live in their prime but loved that debut album in later years.

iirc they seemed to be one of those bands that were championed equally by Kerrang! and NME. A bit like Amen and some of the punk-ier American stuff that was around the time the Strokes got big

3 Likes

Saw a band called Holy Popes the other week, featuring one-time, short-term Eighties Matchbox guitarist Dominic Knight. Really good fun live and that bass sound does all sorts of things to me

2 Likes