The Everyday Hell Of It All - The Rolling Horror Thread 2021

As we leave behind the actual horrorshow of 2020 and stride confidently into the recurring horrorshow of early 2021, let’s count our blessings that horror on film continues to produce seemingly endless originality and ingenuity. Plus a load of remakes and sequels natch…

Previous thread here:

First post of 2020’s thread was @Scott_Chegg being excited about the coming release of Saint Maud. Which I’ve still not seen - yeesh…

RIP in pieces :hocho: :hocho: :hocho:

5 Likes

Found this YouTube channel when looking for a rip of Christmas Evil

Suspect some people ITT will be interested.

Some pretty flagrant © violation (Black Christmas is pinned at the top for me!!) but it’s a bit of a deep dive otherwise.

3 Likes

There’s a surprising amount there that I’m excited for. Determined to watch more new horror this year after spending most of 2020 obsessively watching Jean Rollin movies. Tonight’s choice is 1920’s The Golem, but bear with me, I’ll get there…

What’s on your radar? All I can see on a quick scan of Letterboxd is a Candyman sequel/reboot and Edgar Wright’s new film which I’m not sure is a pure horror

Looks like January alone could be a busy month…

https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3646799/new-year-new-nightmares-16-horror-movies-tv-shows-games-debuting-january-2021/?fbclid=IwAR0hF4uRNVIJDk4TPS2Af02SHjIJnLEmpEedwMvEbjymAKZ1nVIDtXF34lA

I’m well up for the Edgar Wright movie, the Candyman re-do, the Quiet Place sequel, Morbius (although it’ll probably suck), Don’t Breathe 2, maybe even the new Paranormal Activity, although again, it’ll probably be shit. Basically, I’m a sucker for sequels - I just want it to be the 80s again where every year saw a whole slew of diminishing return follow-ups… :slight_smile:

Has anyone else seen Underwater since? Curious to see what people think of it.

I saw it. It was…okay. Not terrible, but missing that one magic ingredient to make it something special

1 Like

I watched it a couple of weeks ago - thought it was…decent? Nicely put together, although obviously very derivative. That said, I’m a sucker for anything in the Cthulhu mythos. Thought Kristen Stewart did a good Ripley. Probably a 6/10…

1 Like

I liked it. It was short at around 90 minutes and yeah, it’s like Alien but underwater.

Anyone seen The Vigil on Netflix? Completely different type of horror film but that’s worth a look. I saw it last night. It was a 7.5/10 for me.

1 Like

Yeah I mentioned it briefly in the film thread. Feel the same aa you, the actual horror elements were pretty basic and by the numbers but I liked the added cultural aspect that it had, thought it was an interesting premise

1 Like

Watched last night: The Golem: How He Came into the World I’m a big fan of silent films - they cast a spell unlike anything else I’ve seen. This was no exception and features one standout scene in which the spirit, Astaroth, is summoned to provide the magic word that helps animate the golem. It’s the kind of sequence that you only find in this type of film and really pushes at the limits of what was technically possible at the time, while also feeling genuinely magical. Definitely recommended if you’re a fan of this kind of stuff.

3 Likes

watched Ghostkeeper (1981)

3 people end up getting snowed in at an abandoned hotel over New Years Eve. but is it abandoned?!

great fun this, was surprised it had so few views and the director didn’t do much else as it certainly doesn’t seem standard low budget fare. It’s not particularly original but the acting’s good and zips along nicely. If you’re a fan of snowy horrors you’ll be a fan

4 Likes

Might watch this. Cheers.

I was working a long day and had Blood Quantam lined up for my wind down film. I’ll toss a coin to see whether I watch that or this.

I watched Blood Quantum the other day. I would rate it as…fine. Nice First Nations backdrop, but otherwise fairly generic zombie flick…

1 Like

Watch Blood Quantum as I’ve been debating that too but it looks either a hidden gem or awful

1 Like

I didn’t have a coin to flip. I flipped a coaster. Blood Quantam won.

1 Like

Thoughts?

I’d agree with your “generic zombie flick” comments.

I had high hopes for that film and was in a mood for a serious or silly zombie film last night. But unfortunately I found it a bit dull. Tried to be both a bloodfest and a serious drama too and didn’t get either one right too well.

I’d give it a 5/10 as I found myself looking at stuff on my phone with the film playing at the background towards the end.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll be giving it a miss!