The Everyday Hell Of It All - The Rolling Horror Thread 2021

Currently reading - and really enjoying - John Langan’s Sefira and Other Betrayals. He’s quietly become one of, if not my favourite contemporary horror writer. He’s got that knack, like MR James say, of writing stories that frequently only become horrific in their final moments.

I remember the name but not the show, will investigate.

1 Like

I had to check out of this the third time they played Eddie Cochrane’s ‘Come On Everybody’. Unbelievably cheesy for something that I thought looked really interesting. Might go back to it though.

1 Like

Last night’s movie with my son was Hammer’s The Hound of the Baskervilles. I could watch films like this all the time and be perfectly content. This oozes class - Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Andre Morrell, John Le Mesurier - what a cast! My son loved it.

1 Like

Finished a re-read of The Shadow over Innsmouth last night. Maybe my favourite Lovecraft story? Certainly the one I’ve read the most and has such a great ending.

In other news, was blown away to discover that Gillian Hills, the star of The Owl Service tv show, is also this Gillian Hills: https://youtu.be/UoeIZrYYM6o Mind blown.

1 Like
2 Likes

Think I might have discovered my new favourite sub-genre of horror fiction: the supernatural sleuth. Currently reading Dark Detectives edited by Stephen Jones. It’s a collection of horror/detective stories, interspersed with a series of connected stories by Kim Newman. The main stories are all very entertaining. Favourite so far is Basil Copper’s Solar Pons story - a complete Holmes rip-off but extremely enjoyable. Newman’s stories are also very good; very ripping yarn in a way that totally matches his public persona. I’d always assumed his writing might be a bit too self-aware for my liking but after reading some of these I’m going to have check some of his books out.

1 Like

Any recommendations for good narrative horror podcasts? I just finished the 3rd season of the BBC’s Lovercraft Investigations (which is so good). Anything like the Black Tapes, Tanis, that kind of thing, I’d love to know about. I’ve got a few ideas but personal recommendations are always appreciated. Thanks!

My brother keeps telling me to listen to Old Gods Of Appalachia (but I haven’t yet)

1 Like

Cheers, that’s one of the ones I’d been considering. I’ll give the first episode a listen this evening.

1 Like

watched Ruin Me last night. A group of people go on a horror movie experience in the woods but is it actually real?!

It was alright. Had a couple of nice set pieces but it was quite predictable and almost the definition of a 6/10

1 Like

Watched Urban Legend last night. It was so bad it was actually great. Just started the 2nd one from the box set. 20 mins in and it’s not disappointing in being just as bad / great as the 1st film.

Edit: This is now possibly the strongest gore for a 15 rated movie I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Half way through Urban Legends : Bloody Mary, which despite it’s straight to video background, seems to be the best one. For a 2005 movie it’s odd there are no mobile phones in this. It’s bad but it’s good / bad.

1 Like

There’s a mobile phone in it now!

I liked 2 the best mainly just for the film school setting, but yeah they’re a fun trilogy!

1 Like

Nightbreed is a deeply strange film isn’t it? I think I quite liked it but wow is it silly. It starts like Hellraiser and then becomes… Willow, I think?

Watched last night , Swallow…

Had not heard much about this beforehand which was a good thing as it’s pretty unique. Has a dreamy quality to it that belies its handling of some serious topics. Hayley Bennett, who I watched recently in The Hole, is great as the lead in this. Has some genuinely wince inducing moments and a satisfying pay-off. 8/10

1 Like

This is definitely on my to-watch list - I’m glad to hear it’s as good as the reviews I read made it sound.

1 Like

Watching Argento’s - The Cat o’ Nine Tails (Arrow Blu Ray). Damn it looks stylish, the train station scene, just so evocative of times gone by and the camerawork is fantastic so far…

2 Likes