The Everyday Hell Of It All - The Rolling Horror Thread 2021

Had been meaning to rewatch Us since I first saw it and finally got round to it last night. I mainly wanted to see if knowing the final twist affects how you watch it. This happened to some extent but I’m still not convinced that the twist makes it a better film. Overall, this is still a very good film, if not quite as razor sharp as Get Out. I really liked having some of the analysis of the film I’ve read in mind while watching it and if nothing else, I’m now a convert to the music of Minnie Riperton. Can’t wait to see what Peele does next.

2 Likes

Season 3 of Survivors : Mad Dog, is real class. Gripping the whole way through. Minimal, stark and up there with the very best episodes.

2 Likes

Watched last night, Synchronic…

After all the chat up ^there, reckoned I’d get on board. Thought this was good. Some nice original ideas, with the obvious caveat with virtually all time travel films that the more you think about whether it makes any sense the less you are likely to enjoy it. Anthony Mackie is a very watchable actor and the New Orleans setting was put to good use. Quite enjoyed the mid-level FX - didn’t feel like it was trying to blow you away with the wow factor. Nicely open resolution. 7/10

1 Like

Watched Sator last night. Chose the iPad and headphones to watch it, which is weird because I never do that but think it was a good choice. The first half hour, there were times when I was actively disinterested but then grandma arrived and everything changed. Her dialogue and the ‘writing’ was fascinating and the last half hour rode the wave of the unknown that she so matter of factly chatted about.
I tried watching ‘The Amusement Park’ afterwards, but quit after half an hour because it was telling me stuff I already know. Sator was telling me stuff that I didn’t know, but wanted to hear more about.

Yeah the back story to Sator is fascinating. I think I was a bit too enthusiastic on first watch as the actual film is good but nothing too spectacular but the fact the grandmother experienced it in real life and those are her drawings set it apart for me, love films which do stuff like that

Yeah, reading about grandma and her maternal line afterwards was pretty eye opening. Is this post 666? Sator!

1 Like

:metal: :metal: :metal:

2 Likes
3 Likes

The Endless is really pretty special isn’t it? Got the balance of sci-fi and sentimentality much more right than Synchronic. It’s limitations were it’s strengths as well. Really loved it, so thanks for the talk up thread - would never of found it otherwise!

2 Likes

Watched last night: The Brides of Dracula Had really been looking forward to this as a lot of sources online claim this as one of the best of Hammer’s Dracula movies. While I enjoyed it a lot, I’m not sure it’s the all-time classic some would have you believe it to be. I won’t go into many plot details here as I didn’t know a huge amount about this before going in and I think you’re definitely better off that way. Good things about this: Peter Cushing is present as Van Helsing and does a characteristically wonderful job. This gives him couple of action sequences which he definitely seems to be up for. Miles Malleson is in this too as a hypochondriac doctor - I’ve not seen him in too much, but he’s always very funny and worth watching. There’s also one genuinely creepy scene where one of the characters is talking to one of the buried brides, encouraging her to wake up from her grave - it’s really quite eerie. The main drawback for me though is the lack of Christopher Lee. Even when he’s denied any dialogue he’s still such a strong presence and I just love movies with both him and Cushing. Still all in all, this was all very enjoyable. I feel like this tends to get overlooked precisely because Lee’s not in it, but it’s definitely worth your time.

2 Likes

Now to need to watch Resolution. The films share some scenes. Like, literally.

1 Like

I’ll look for it now! Got some to time to kill.

Didn’t really wanna spend any money so watched Spring instead. Certainly not as captivating as The Endless, but I really really like the way everything is so grounded in their films. Somehow makes them stranger? They also know just when to push a piece of the puzzle your way, although this was a different kind of film so didn’t make you wait so much for it.

Don’t know where in the world you are but it’s on YouTube here, https://youtu.be/E8HdveG839M Don’t bother with their section in VHS Viral though, it’s shite. Like, really bad. Weird.

1 Like

Oh cool, thanks! And thanks for the warning!

I’m watching Night Of The Living Dead and err is it okay that 40 minutes in I think it’s ridiculously boring?

You’ve seen it before?

I wouldn’t rate it as one of the best horrors but definitely do like it. Probably seen it 10 times over the years, but the first time was probably in the late 80s.

Nope first time. 20 minutes left and it hasn’t improved for me

Same. It broke new ground but it ain’t great.

1 Like

I absolutely love it. The black and white photography, the tensions between Ben and Harry, the ending (which I guess you haven’t got to yet). It reminds me of a play in some respects - the zombies seem almost secondary to the human drama that Romero seems more interested in. So yeah, if you’re expecting wall-to-wall gut-munching I can see how it might be boring but it always works for me.

2 Likes