The first ever photograph of a Black Hole 🍩

bit underwhelming isn’t it?

3 Likes

Thought it’d be blacker

29 Likes

I don’t know about anybody else, but it reminds me of a blurry spaghetti hoop at night.

5 Likes

I like it and have changed my picture accordingly

25 Likes

So what is it?

6 Likes

I quite like it. Weird how it looks like that.

6 billion suns, guys. That’s a thicc boi.

3 Likes
  • Like it. Looks good.
  • Hate it. Looks shit.

0 voters

Scientists have obtained the first image of a black hole, using Event Horizon Telescope observations of the center of the galaxy M87. The image shows a bright ring formed as light bends in the intense gravity around a black hole that is 6.5 billion times more massive than the Sun. This long-sought image provides the strongest evidence to date for the existence of supermassive black holes and opens a new window onto the study of black holes, their event horizons, and gravity.

shite

2 Likes

Very informal at the EHT.

7 Likes

Somebody give it eyelashes

Looks like a head with a giant burning celestial beard to me.

ALL HAIL THE SPACE BEARD.

1 Like

pppfft! Our dining room table looks blacker than that.

1 Like

Two of my colleagues just went off on one about this, super excited, trying to find a feed for the live press conference, banging on about all the numbers and stuff. It’s nice they’re excited, but idk, I can’t really bring myself to care? Am I dead inside?

Or a blurry spaghetti hoop on @Gnometorious and @Avery’s table?

3 Likes

very good :clap:

To even resolve it you need an aperture the size of the Earth. It’s pretty nuts.

Just think, Matthew McConaughey is in there.

8 Likes

There might be something to be said about “brown holes”, but I’m not sure I’m prepared to go there (and it’s not Thursday)

1 Like