The Formula One 2017 Thread

Half a lap of racing followed by 5 laps of safety car all the way to the end.

Enjoyed Vettel and Hamilton having a bit of road rage then

Red flag - Get the road sweeper out!

Wow

Ooft, Bottas doing Stroll right on the line there

That was bloody brilliant. Vettel was talking out of his teutonic arse, you can’t just drive deliberately into someone. It’s not touring cars, man. Very lucky not to get more of a penalty.

I’m no Hamilton fan, but fuck me, Vettel is such a prick of the highest order.

It takes a very special type of ManBaby to make Lewis Hamilton appear like the voice of reason.

4 Likes

Okay, I’ve just watched the highlights on formula1.com (literally the first racing I’ve seen in a couple of years) and I can’t understand how Vettel’s not been banned for a couple of races. That’s not just dangerous driving in the sense of racing a bit too hard - it’s pure petulence, and with the entire pack backed up behind the pair of them, he’s lucky Hamilton wasn’t closer to the wall.

Don’t think it would’ve been quite as bad if it was while they were racing and he’s got a bit carried away and bumped into him or forced him off the track or whatever… But they’re following the safety car at like 40mph, he’s accelerated to pull alongside him and swerved into him. Absolute madness.

1 Like

was away for the weekend, managed to watch it all on catch up without knowing the result

i have to say i’m absolutely staggered that vettel wasn’t given an automatic ban, he’s now close to a ban cos he’s been given points on his license for other incidents but… he almost unquestionably drove into someone else intentionally, when the cars weren’t under racing conditions, that’s just absolutely unforgivable

imagine if a football player pushed another player to the ground while they were waiting for a free kick to be taken, surely that would be a red not a yellow

Sake I’m gonna have to start disliking Vettel again aren’t I. Sort it out Seb!!

2 Likes

So it wasn’t just Corbyn you had it wrong on :wink:

TBF - for my money he seemed a decent guy up until about halfway through his second world title - at which point he lost the easygoing persona and switched into entitled kid mode and I’ve never liked him since.

I don’t really follow F1, but just had a quick google to find a video of yesterday’s incident, and made the mistake of reading below the line.

A lot of people really think Hamilton was to blame and that Vettel did nothing wrong, don’t they? Is my knowledge of the event being filtered through that strong a UK-centric filter that I find that utterly baffling?

Even though the FIA stated that telemetry proves Hamilton didn’t touch his brakes at all, there’s a lot of people convinced that he brake tested Vettel (and in fairness, to the eye from Vettel’s on-board camera it does look like that at first glance, because Seb got on the power too hard, too quick.)

Hamilton is probably as divisive in international F1 circles as Schumacher was; there’s a perception worldwide, and particularly in Spain due to the Alonso relationship, that the UK dominated F1 media have fawned over him as a golden boy who can do no wrong (not completely unreasonably, although not to the extent they percieve) and there’s a big backlash against him as a consequence.

I think racism has an awful lot to do with it too - or perhaps I’m stereotyping overseas F1 fans on the basis of their British counterparts…

Haha!

I went on the same journey as you - but I warmed back to him the last few seasons. Firstly because he was putting in QUALITY drives in a non-competitive car meaning his 4 world titles became a bit more of a respectful achievement. Secondly because it seemed he was kicking off at Ferrari for the right things so quite liked him speaking his mind. Adding a bit of colour etc.

Not a fan of this weekend’s antics though. Can probably explain it that he’s a pretty jittery frontrunner and always has been. qv. 2010 World Championship. I know it was his first one but man he should’ve had that sown up long before the last race of the season.

1 Like

That and Vettel’s in a Ferrari. People get awful funny about Ferrari. Always have.

2 Likes

thing is, even if Hamilton HAD brake tested him, which he maintains he didn’t and the stewards agreed with, there’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever for deliberately ramming another car.
like others here i’d warmed a lot to Vettel as he seems like he has a decent sense of humour, now he’s back to genuinely competing again though that annoying brat of years gone by is well and truly back.

3 Likes

Could well do, yes and if not then nationalism is certainly a huge part of it.

@GEOFF: Yes. In fairness I switched off F1 pretty much entirely two years ago apart from Joe Saward’s blog (and in 2014 I was only dipping in), so I’ve more or less entirely missed Vettel’s time there. I just don’t get the sense that either he’s matured yet the in way that say Button or Alonso both did - he still seems to think everyone else on the track should just get out of his way and acts out when they don’t from what I can tell (and remember, this is a four time world champion behaving like a brat, not a rookie).

As for Ferrari - lets just say I find thieir inability to move beyond 2nd/3rd spot in the pecking order a touch amusing :slight_smile:

under the current concorde agreement ferrari get $100m a year just for turning up, fucking outrageous