The general all-purpose Mark Kozelek thread? (c/w sexual abuse accusations #SSP)

I didn’t actually realise how close together his releases had been, despite it being a bit of a meme. He could’ve spread Benji , Desertshore and Perils From The Sea in 13/15/17 and still had everything looking forward to whatever came out in 19, instead of people dreading it.

1 Like

Haha. I’ll look out for ‘Miserable Four-Eyed Fuck on DiS Blues’ on the next Jesu split.

5 Likes

Those albums still exist and sound just as good today as when they were released :slight_smile:

Kind of enjoyed the weird curiosity of this phase and seeing to what extremes he takes it. And the variety of approaches and collaborators keeps it quite fresh, even if his songwriting and lyrics rarely do - but there’s something weirdly comforting to me about getting updates on the minutiae of his life every few months and the little details and anecdotes that come along.

I can’t think of another artist that puts so much of themselves, including tons of the humdrum, into their music - so there’s a proper world and almost glossary of repeated characters/character quirks I can’t think comparable to anyone else.

Must admit the vast majority don’t have a lot of replay value, but I’ve had a short, enjoyable spell of listening to each of them (apart from Yellow Kitchen), and it’s quite impressive that each has a distinct feel. You could also make a decent 100-minute compilation of the best of his post-Benji stuff, which while a fraction of everything he’s put out is still a lot of pretty good music you wouldn’t have if he only did an LP once every 3/4 years.

Also while the 2-3 fairly albums a year is damaging to the “brand”/canon/prestige, whatever you wanna call it, ultimately that stuff matters little. There’s still Benji and if you don’t like it, it’s easy enough to ignore.

Having said that all this, would bloody love to hear him switch up the approach and try something different, especially more patient and considered, again. But he is what he is and I wouldn’t change the last few years.

1 Like

Probably a good comparison between Mark and Jose Mourinho in 2018 actually. Both miserable, shouty, confrontational with the press, for the most relying for the most part on their reputation, occasional spark that makes you think they’re back to their best that burns out as quickly as it’s there.

1 Like

“And then some guy on Drowned in Sound dot com compared me to Jose Mourinho.”
“Jose Mourinho ain’t your run-of-the-mill soccer manager,”
“If it was 1975, he’d be a household name
And we’d be neck-and-neck
He’d be Don Revie famous, and I’d be Brian Clough famous.”

19 Likes

one is a musician and one is a football manager though

What the fuck is going on in this new version of Rock n Roll Singer.

Has he fucked it?
Two studio versions and multiple live versions was already enough tbf.

That, David Cassidy and Come On Get Happy are the best bits of the album imo. Breathes a bit of life into it.

I don’t know how to describe it really, a kind of shambolic countrified version of it. Oh and he holds a note for about 30 seconds until his voice starts shaking and cracks. Then does it again later on. And I think again.

2 Likes

I’ll stick to the old versions then tbf. At least he didn’t redo If You Want Blood (my fave of his AC/DC covers)

it’s great!

I love how shit his voice sounds at certain points and that big fuck you “wooooo!” that nobody was asking for is brilliant.

Very life affirming version.

1 Like

Had to go and fucking listen to it didnt I?

“A doctor or a lllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrman.
WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

sort of reminds you that songs are meant to be fun doesn’t it?

Thread prompted me to listen to benji again. So bloody good

4 Likes

GOTGH > Benji > April > Perils From the sea > AFP > ATL > Desertshore > Universal Themes > SKM/Jesu

Not listened to the rest, and apart from a Tiny Cities, really not bothered

1 Like

I do like fun songs though.
I prefer the other versions he’s done of this song though.

2 Likes

Listen to some Red House Painters mate.
At least Rollercoaster.

1 Like

Wasn’t including RHP in this. Put that output totally separate to SKM/MK stuff. Whereas SKM and MK are interchangeable in my mind

1 Like