The George Floyd protests (cw - state violence)

Thanks. I’m pulling from people who make effort posts with a lot of information. I wish it were easier to share but I can’t do much on my phone, so I will just have to violate IT protocol and use my work computer for non-work purposes. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Incredible footage of downtown Philly

2 Likes

you’re doing good work, thank you.

2 Likes

I wish it were easier to explain the role of capitalism in systemic racism. one of the shitty ‘faux-civil’ things I’ve seen on social media and that I’m sure we’ve all seen over here is just straight up ignoring everything else and laying into looters.

looting is righteous and justified, even if it sadly isn’t that constructive (given the painful pragmatism civility engenders as a response to people deeply bound in that social contract - though I hate to paraphrase Trevor Noah after seeing what he’s done re: those miners).

3 Likes

Warning: Donald fucking Rumsfeld

Quote that back at the fuckers.

22 Likes

From fellow goon and all around wonderful human Koalas March
*"Here’s a thing to remember: randos will always show to any group event with a different agenda. You also have white people who are mad about brutality who pop off cause they’re angry and have nothing to lose if they go to jail.

None of this should take legitimacy away from black protesters and activists who are unequivocally taking to the streets right now. None of this should take away from the fact the cops are out here fucking murdering people.

If you get into it with anyone about this always steer the conversation back to the Murder of black people by police.

People are being murdered and other people are pearl clutching because of some broken windows and swiped shoes. Let that sink in."*

And earlier:
*"It’s infantilizing black people (they wouldn’t have gotten the idea to loot if it wasn’t for whites!!), delegitimizes our rage and gives the police an excuse to continue to brutalize protestors. It’s a perfect storm of bullshit and we need to really counter this narrative because it’s going to hurt the movement more than help.

Edit: it also frames the story as white protestors not actually caring about black lives but about smashing shit instead because why would young white care about black deaths. it’s more gruesome the more you analyze it."*

2 Likes

There’s enormous bangs all over our area now. A helicopter just flew very low with a spot light on the strip of shops down the road. Absolutely surreal.

My son got to social distances talking with a new neighbour down the street. I was delighted to see a huge blm chalk message outside their apartment.

Apparently over a thousand arrested yesterday and this afternoon before the curfew. A couple of prominent community leaders have been beaten and there are really disturbing reports of the national guard arriving with permission to shoot.

1 Like

Chicago public schools are shut tomorrow, so no free school meals for the kids. Shameful decision.

No public transit tomorrow and County advising people to stay home.
Not me, though!

4 Likes

D.C. is bonkers.

29 Likes

Apparently the president was cowering in a bunker last night. Certainly puts Saturday morning cartoon Benny Johnson’s LARPing earlier into perspective.

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1267132363387088897?s=20

1 Like

Even worse is what that was a reply to:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/NoahPollak/status/1267176707640840192

2 Likes

Probably posted already as haven’t finished the thread but MFF are overwhelmed with donations and asking People to donate elsewhere now

2 Likes

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/100787550_257724565543566_272586434517401600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQnNpS8xdyYKzTCkbRYWnHsuY3nKAoBEpdgRFnVG2py12vYrW2Dwpbra6YuX1q8NvqY&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=217b60d71b05b688ebd4ad28cbe171c5&oe=5EFA0D51

Le Natoinal

Oops.

Mistaken for Strangers

6 Likes

Yeah I did the same, while that Google Doc was amazing it was pretty overwhelming trying to work out how to choose, what would have the most impact etc