The Guardian's 50 best video games of the 21st Century

Oh look another list!

No FFVII?!?!?!?

1 Like

Sad Thief didn’t get a mention but hey ho, seems okay.

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not sorry.

1 Like

Is 1997 not in the 21st century?

19 Likes

I know nothing about video games but I do know that this list is clearly a FRAUD and a MESS and I’m just gonna wait here until someone tells me why.

4 Likes

Well, Odyssey over either of the Mario Galaxy games is quite a stretch I think.

Also, real lack of Tetris Effect. And Singstar? Fucking hell.

2 Likes

You see I also know they keep rereleasing these FF games so I thought it was possible it was eligible via some other means :smiley:

1 Like

No Yoku’s Island Express, list is a joke.

Good to see Majora’s Mask. Knights of the old Republic and at least one CM/FM game should have been there (01/02 maybe). It’s all big triple a adventure games too, no indie games like celeste or Stardew Valley, and no strategy or puzzle games.

1 Like

You’re right, Singstar over Just Dance seems nuts.

1 Like

Haven’t looked at these sorts of lists in ages, but in the past I just remember Civilization would always be way high up there. Interesting that it’s not even in the top 50 anymore.

1 Like

My hot takes: Inside > Limbo. Galaxy > Odyssey. What Remains of Edith Finch should be in there and The Last of Us should be higher.

1 Like

Civ IV, V and VI should all have been considered

Thief came out in 98, but maybe Thief II should have been mentioned.

Yeah I knew one of them was inside the period but it was more a wistful thing about how overlooked those games (and that studio) generally was, TBH.

Also that list is a tragic reminder Valve can no longer be bothered to make video games.

1 Like

I think that the list seems pretty fair. There’s obviously a couple of omissions that surprise me (Rock Band, Super Monkey Ball, any Total War game for three), and they seem inconsistent in their approach to including multiple games from the same series in there, but overall it’s alright.

1 Like

No Final Fantasy IX :frowning:

1 Like

Is RCT3 on there?