The Guardian's top all time best no1 singles of all time top 100

They’ve had the KLF track already and obviously put 3AM Eternal at 23 deliberately, right?

2 Likes

Hadn’t spotted it was no 23, ha, yeah that’s deliberate…

1 Like

Used to love reading that website, think he’s kind of slowed down in recent years though? Or maybe he just covered everything.

Just realised there’s no Michael Jackson in there yet, hoping they leave him out entirely.

1 Like

It’s still very much alive, he’s just had to slow down naturally as he’s now got so far he’s reviewing songs that weren’t invented when he started the blog! A Popular Patreon was created last year, you can view early/extra/exclusive content here:

What’s the significance of the number 23 here?

They’re obsessed with the number 23 for some reason. Stolen from Wikipedia as I couldn’t work out how to link to the specific bit, sorry:

• In lyrics to the song “Next” from the album 1987 : “23 years is a mighty long time”.
  • They announced they had signed a contract preventing either of them from publicly discussing the burning of a million pounds for a period of 23 years;[103]
  • Their 1997 return as 2K was “for 23 minutes only”.[104]
  • In numbering schemes: for instance, the debut single “All You Need Is Love” took the catalogue number JAMS 23, while the final KLF Communications Information Sheet was numbered 23; and Cauty’s Ford Galaxie police car had on its roof the identification mark 23.
  • In significant dates during their work: for instance, a rare public appearance by the KLF, at the Liverpool Festival of Comedy, was on 23 June 1991; they announced the winner of the K Foundation award on 23 November 1993;[105] and they burned one million pounds on 23 August 1994.[72]
  • The 2017 reunion happened at 00:23 on 23 August 23 years after the burning, with the release of a book entitled 2023: A Trilogy . The numerals of the date – 23 August 2017 – also sum to 23 (2+3+0+8+2+0+1+7=23).[86]
4 Likes

It’s an important number in the Illuminatus trilogy I think, which is where they took the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu name from

7 Likes

Yes, this.

They listed Stewart Lee as 41st best comedian in their best comedians poll, which is another in-joke so they have form in this area

2 Likes

Had been following the Guardian count down but was not aware of that Popular blog, most recent article is Kylies Glow, which would be pretty high up any list of top number ones that I’d come up with.

Whatever next! They’ll be picking Tom Jones as their greatest Welsh artist of all time

Whoa gonna be number 1

• Eamon
  • Frankee

0 voters

Been listening to the spotify playlist and having a nice time. Turns out ariana grande is pretty good?

1 Like

I assume I called Kylies song Glow and not Slow as I was also reading the sad news about Lynn Shelton earlier.

I’d say it’s very likely Billie Jean will be top 10, probably top 5

Given that they published this last year, it’ll be interesting to see how they answer their own question, I suspect they’ll leave him out. Certainly I can’t listen to him anymore, found it really jarring any time I’ve heard stuff played on the radio or wherever ever since watching the documentary last year.

Alexis Petridis and Laura Snapes (two of the named authors of the 100 number 1s piece) seem to have differing opinions on this so yes, it’ll be interesting to see if he’s included.

And their latest addition this morning is Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis. Who married his 13 year old cousin.

I think she is amazing.

I skimmed the list a couple of days ago and it may sound trite but I had forgotten many of the tracks, and there is so much great music out there.