The Horrors - Machine

Also, the proper video for Something To Remember Me By is quite something itself:

My favourite new album

Has Faris had vocal cord surgery or something? loved his voice on their first 2 records but now it sounds dead boring

Enjoying this. Could be their best since primary colours for me. Skying and luminous especially got a bit samey

Really like it. I loved Luminous and played that to death when it came out. Primary colours is still their best, listened again the other day and itā€™s so full of character. But yeah, Iā€™d go as far to see these boys are underated. Very flexible bunch.

1 Like

Found a crappy rip of the Japanese bonus tracks. Fire Escape sounds pretty good (and is apparently unrelated to the Fanfarlo track of the same name that Tom Furse remixed), but Water Drop is an extended coda to Fire Escape.

Just had a track from this pop up, not really sure what to think but, I find The Horrors almost pitch perfect recreations of historical musical archetypes a bitā€¦uncanny? Genuinely wondered if I was listening to something from the 1980s.

That are very good at studying old records, obsessively, I think, and learning what theyā€™re all about inside and out.

In all fairness to The Horrors I think even they would concede Richard Fairbrass was doing this sort of stuff but better back in the early 90s. Iā€™m not totally against looking back for inspiration in music but who is breaking new ground these days?

1 Like

I donā€™t really care about musicians breaking new ground. Iā€™d rather it be exciting, fun and make me want to jump up and down and go crazy. A lot of music that aims to break new ground ends up being boring crap.

1 Like

Press Enter to Exit must be playlisted on 6music because Iā€™ve heard it quite a bit recently. Just wafts by like a nothing thing, but my, what a good sounding nothing.

Enjoyed this when Iā€™ve listened to it but honestly totally forgot it existed

1 Like

10 year anniversary of Primary Colours gig in May

TEN YEARS

7 Likes

Royal Albert Hall is a little ambitious, but Iā€™m glad theyā€™re still around.

Excellent memories of being 18 and watching them perform the album in the NME tent at Reading a few months after it came out. Crowd was absolutely wild for it. It was my favourite album that year by miles.

Just had a look on Setlist FM and apparently they havenā€™t played Count in Fives or Sheena is a Parasite since 2010. Would be a real treat if they did.

1 Like

Primary Colours is still nigh on perfect. Also, Iā€™ve gone back to V a lot. Great record.

2 Likes

They played the MBV ATP that year and pretty much played it in full, was really great. Not sure whether to go to this, though.

1 Like

Yeah even as a big fan of the band I donā€™t feel much compulsion to go to this. I donā€™t think they suit a big space that well.

1 Like

I put them on once, in March 2006. I had them supporting a group called Zombina & the Skeletones. A band called the Monster Club opened. The headliners are still going. Never heard of the opening band again. Yes, I did a halloween themed gig in March. Thatā€™s how I did things. Sorry.

1 Like

Only seen them before at a couple of festivals (MBV ATP and field day 09) but was a bit underwhelmed. Maybe overly high expectations or the big spaces was the problem IDK.

A no from me but looking forward to revisiting the album. JHC, TEN yearsā€¦