The "I'm raising money for charity thread" (rolling)

Hello. Not sure if this has been done before or not but I thought we could have a thread for people to link to when they are raising money for charity? I know it means A Lot to so many of us, and what better way to show it!

In August I am going on a very long bike ride and raising money for a refugee community centre in Athens. If anyone would like to donate the link is here:

Thanks for anything you can contribute! I have also said I’ll match the single highest donation too.

Good idea for a rolling thread IMO

Thanks mate

this is amazing stuff

wil give you some money when I next get paid

Thanks so much! Whatever you can be spare is hugely appreciated.

I’m not so good at raising money - I’m terrible for asking people to sponsor me - but I do give up some of my time a couple of times a month to help look after the sheep that the council graze on it’s protected chalk grassland sites. Does that count?

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/leisure-and-libraries/parks-and-green-spaces/conservation-grazing-sheep-and-ponies

That does count! Is there somewhere that the fine people of DiS could donate some money?

Got very confused here as to how antpoc knew I was the middle born child, and thought it was worth mentioning in his good luck message

It’s not really a money thing. If anything, I posted it partly as a “I might be a bit rubbish for doing charity stuff, but I’m doing my bit really”, but also as a “If you’ve got a bit of time, why not see if there’s any volunteering opportunities that suit you” because it needn’t necessarily be putting in the hours in an Oxfam shop, or working with a group of disadvantaged people.

Ah, I see! Well that is excellent and hopefully in encourages others to do a bit to help if they can too :+1:

Great stuff.

Good luck.

Enjoyed the comments/moniker combo from ol’ Ma DOTS.

Going to bump this as donations have slowed somewhat.

Thanks to all DiSers who’ve donated so far, I think you have outnumbered IRL friends in your donations (if I exclude the anonymous £100 donation) so cheers. Truly a GBOL x

Also @Aggpass caused me to have this confusing chat with an old friend

:slight_smile: ‘I don’ t know any other angus’s’.

Brutal

Had a real mind blank, don’t associate that name with you at all for some reason.

(Thanks though!)

This could be a very effective fundraising tactic if you do it to other friends.

That’s actually a great idea