The KLF

I guess I never really thought about it but I don’t feel like they were a piss-take, they just refused to enter into the mystique of how the industry worked.

2 Likes

I saw it more that they entered completely and then subverted the mystique of how the industry worked.

That’s what was so amazing about them: they were utterly transparent and at the same time completely opaque about what they were doing and what they were trying to do.

1 Like

BLAME CANADA. 39 weeks of fucking Everything I Do? HOW CAN THERE BE ENOUGH SALES TO DO THIS?

Partly because of the way the Canadian chart system works and the lack of CD singles sold in shops over there.

Don’t forget that Candle In The Wind spent three years in the top 20, with 46 non-consecutive weeks at the top spot.

1 Like

[Full disclosure: I actually know Bill Drummond socially as, by a quirk of fate, my daughter is friends with his youngest son]

Heh. He knew my old housemate, and he and Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp) stayed over at ours a few times when they played in Newcastle.

#namedrop

1 Like

Do you think we’ll ever see the end of click-baity, sensationalist headlines like this now? Or is it just how everything will be ‘reported’ from now on?

1 Like

In 2017, people got bored of clickbait - and you won’t believe what happened next.

6 Likes

not KLF related, but how about this? genuinely good song imo (the Galaxie 500 cover is even better)

1 Like

I’ve heard the Galaxie 500 cover, and I like it a lot! The original is… yeah. OK. You win. Piss-takes can be good.

1 Like

Love singing the Galaxie 500 version. Way prefer it to the original.

2 Likes

when i ripped the Galaxie 500 one from CD to my computer it came up with ‘John Lennon; Paul McCartney’ in the Composer field. i’ve read that the original has mistakenly turned up on Beatles bootlegs in the past as well.

:loudspeaker:∆:eye::speaker::sheep::icecream::police_car::pound::fire:

:purple_heart:

I looked out the K Foundation Burn a Million Quid book yesterday after all of the news, and it looks like the moratorium lasts until next year. While 23/08/17 will be 23 years since the burning of the million quid, the contract they signed was dated 05/11/95, and the 23 years runs from then.

I think any new music from the KLF would be amazing.

1 Like

This melts me:

3 Likes

Going to listen to this now, which will be my first time ever consciously listening to the KLF.

Really enjoyed that. Like a weird version of Arab Strap. Will listen to them a bit more!

1 Like

Heh. Almost bunged a bit in about The KLF inventing Arab Strap in that post.

But more importantly, The White Room album is a brilliant combo of that minimal blissed out country vibe* and irresistible maximal Stadium House bangers.

*If you’ve only ever heard the genius Tammy Wynette version of Justified & Ancient, the album version is a treat.

1 Like

Have probably never heard any of it so I’m in for a surprise. Am a bit too young to remember them and have only ever read about their antics outside music so I am interested to hear what they’re like.

1 Like