The Last of Grunge

They aren’t Grunge and damn I hate that term, but there’s no other way. For me they beat Smashing Pumpkins, they really do. In ways they top Radiohead also, but I accept they are a simpler deal. I love the drummers higher than high crash symbol and enthusiasm, Sub Pop stylee Keith Moon. Love the gear changes, charge and subtle moments.

3 Likes

They don’t come close to peak Pumpkins for me but what a great band!

A friend invited me to go see them at Sleazy’s back in 2006ish, I hadn’t heard a note before and they were phenomenal.

4 Likes

What albums the best one to go to for these , never listened to them before

Is someone getting the last, the last, the last, the last of gruuunge

5 Likes

The first or second album are their best by some distance.

3 Likes

Saw them in 2009, upstairs in the small room at the Hummingbird in Birmingham. They were fantastic but weirdly felt like they played too many encores and that made the gig less vital.

Not my review, but pretty spot on.

3 Likes

Their music should be right up my street but the guy’s voice just ruins them for me. Nails on a chalkboard. Shame…

I could watch / listen to this all day. Love the near constant build and that cheeky fuzzy heavy riff they somehow manage to sneak in when it really should be all over. Intense but it is so in such a hazy and fluffy way. I tend to dip in and out of them every 2 to 3 years. Love 'em.

1 Like

The atmosphere in this. Having a Silversun Pickups Sunday here.

2 Likes

The pushing duet vocal on the chorus run, it’s overly raw but prefer it to the studio version somehow. Guitar sounds like it’s a monster Edge (U2) at times… and a drummer that is losing his mind.

2 Likes

Love the bit at 3:40 where the song has broken down and there are no drums but the drummer is still playing his legs.

I want to post more but the thread is telling me off for replying to myself :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Here’s a post that’s not you for you to reply to (didn’t know the site objected to such behaviour).

Actually, I’m enjoying these. I must have subconsciously filed them in my brain alongside Silverchair but never having heard them. They sound very good though once you get used to the voice. Will likely investigate further.

1 Like

@Maps to the rescue. I can never decide if their first or second album is their best, still listening here, love how explosive they can be. All drum crash symbols should be 12 foot high!

4 Likes

Last one for now. Enjoying these a lot.

2 Likes

Good work on this thread. Yes, it’s particularly good at those moments the drummer has to stretch across and up for the crash with his left hand.

I would stay far clear of Pitchfork if you are looking for any advice about which of the first two albums is better by the way. On the first they write:

Other times-- OK a lot of times-- Brian Aubert’s emo-boy voice gets to be too much, worse than even Corgan’s barely-tolerable nasal delivery. Girl parts, offered by bassist Nikki Monninger, are welcome respite; also, she’s way cute.

And on the follow up:

The problem all along for the Silversun Pickups isn’t that they sound too much like the Smashing Pumpkins. They just sound way too much like themselves.
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

What’s grunge?

sorry I couldn’t help myself

1 Like

Not to fussed what Pitchfork think.

I love you can see the music flowing through them. They sound fantastically earnest to me. I love the gears they move through in a lot of their songs. I don’t have a problem with his voice at all. I get they are derivative, but there’s a lot of soul in their sound.

Two of the videos I have posted have this afternoon streaked me with goosebumps, you don’t get that feeling for no reason. Love seeing the music pulse through the band.

1 Like

Yes, I came across one of the reviews following a link, thought it was amusingly bad, and then then was impressed that they’d managed an even worse one.

Agree that Silversun Pickups appear to have got something a bit special about them when they’re in full flow.

2 Likes

That sound they generate around 3:38 in the first video posted. I know this is a derivative sound, but they do it so well. That sound of a the whole band in flowing unison. That sound always conjures up images of driving through a built up city late at night. I get this from Joy Division also on their songs that enter that soundscape, although they sound different. Silversun Pickups are a band I leave alone for 3 years or so but when I come back they always feel special. They are easy to knock, but I think they are great.

2 Likes