The Last of Us šŸšØ spoiler outbreak!

Sorry to cheat and watch Ep 3 ahead of the Sky Atlantic premier (I got a Pub Quiz to go to later). Iā€™m not sure that one worked for meā€¦

I felt like it was retracing steps of so many other comics, films and tv shows. I also have concerns that they had an indirect side story so early in the shows run; its left me with the feeling that the show is going to be disjointed all the way through since each episode so far has had a different pace, tone and character development. We really needed time with the 2 leads to show the impact that the events of ep2 had on each of them and how their relationship is shaped by it, but instead its parked it for a tale about 2 characters that have almost no impact to the main story. Great as a one off but a mistake to have it as the 3rd ep, ruining any pace the show got from the first 2 eps and felt almost disrespectful to Tessā€™s character by undermining the impact of her loss (ā€˜ignore her, here is a story about 2 semi-random characters insteadā€™). If it turns out to be an anthology show with a loose plot held together by the 2 leads than this turn will make greater sense to me; but for now I can only see it as a mistake.

I know Iā€™ll be in the minority on this one. Sorry to be a curmudgeon, if I bounce off of the series I promise to shut up to prevent ruining it for anyone else. I still want to like it for now, so giving it 2 more eps before giving up.

I thought the first episode was decent about to watch second episode once dinner is ready. I really enjoyed the first game and DLC but I hated, hated, hated The Last of Us Pt 2. Thought it was relentlessly miserable, and pushed some pretty reactionary bile using representatives of marginalized communities to cover itself. I know most zombie stuff is fundamentally reactionary but good god. Hope a serious rewrite happens when they get to the sequel material.(I know it wonā€™t)

There were a few beats of what I believe they call ā€œsoy dialogueā€ in the pilot episode that I did not care for. You know, ā€œso, uh, yeah, THAT happened.ā€ type exchanges. Nothing too unbearable however.

Sort of agree with ^this.

Episode 3 spoilers ahead obviouslyā€¦

I actually enjoyed the side story, but had geared myself up for more Joel and Ellie post Tess. Was nice that we did at least get some bonus Tess in this episode. Definite shades of The Walking Dead and the various survivor communities in that show. Are there side stories in the game or is this stuff just for the TV series?

Overall, still thought it was a decent episodeā€¦

2 Likes

I suspectā€¦

they will be returning to this house at a later point (hence leaving the weapons behind) so hopefully whats established from the ep isnā€™t wasted for future plots.

I havenā€™t played the game in a long time but I believe it always followed the 2 leads despite having a few time jump moments; but no harm in building out the world with other characters, heres hoping they fit into the wider story a bit more than is evident now.

RIP Annie Wersching :cry: she was so good as Tess and I loved her in 24

1 Like

She was the best thing about Picard too as the Borg Queen.

1 Like

I really liked that episode. I had literally been wondering what happens when Ellie menstruates for the last two episodes and now we know! Although using 20 year old tampons isnā€™t a great idea.

4 Likes

Thought that was the best of the three episodes so far.

Kind of wish someone would make an entire series about someone living alone in this kind of context. No need for much dramatic narrative stuff really, just give plenty of time to them concocting recipes, raiding the off license, doing repairs etc and build up that feeling of complete isolation and creepiness when something unexpected does eventually happen. When it forms a small part of a wider series it is never fully realised because thereā€™s always someone rocking up every 5 mins to move the story along.

1 Like

That was astonishingly good.

Yeah, i cried.

4 Likes

Maybe Jericho is the answerā€¦ Jericho (TV Series 2006ā€“2008) - IMDb
or
for a film, The Night Eats the Worldā€¦ La nuit a dĆ©vorĆ© le monde (2018) - IMDb

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s not the best idea to have an episode like this as the third one of the season, idk, but the episode itself was a clear step up in quality compared to the first two (which I have liked, but I donā€™t think marked the show out as anything properly top-tier).

7 Likes

Each place you get to in the game you usually explore the characters you meet and learn about their history. Very episodic narrative a bit like Apocalypse Now or something. They spun this entire episode out of a collectible note you find in the town which is either a sign they did not have enough material to get to 10 full episodes so we got a bit of cheeky padding, or shows a willingness to expand on and take risks with the source material.

they skipped an epic boss fight in the high school gym which demonstrates how the fungi is mutating and evolving so that was a shame.

I would guess they made this episode because all the other Prestige Shows have a random bottle episode that has nothing to do with the main narrative these days, to demonstrate the makers will take creative risks. It is so interesting how Prestige is now itā€™s own genre with specific tropes. I suppose they felt obliged to do it so they will be taken seriously by the critics.

Decent episode 6/10

3 Likes

Donā€™t know how anybody can watch that and not come away emotional. Bloody heartbreaking

And i think people are forgetting Bill was in the game and always deserved to have a stronger back story

Also seen people review bombing it as woke - thick fucks

9 Likes

Good episode but that sort of thing causes me huge dread re. death.

I reckon itā€™s probably good to show people at the start of the series whoā€™re caring for and helping each other

2 Likes

Great episode. Bit of a cheat using Max Richter, but small potatoes when the writing and acting is that good. A very strong 8, best of the three so far.

2 Likes

Thought it was fine enough as a stand-alone episode. Very typical modern tv storyline but well acted and the cinematography was great.

Thought it was odd how much extra effort was placed into the background and nuance on the ā€œmainā€ character though where if anything less has been made with other characters and there have been considerable parts of the game missed in favour of it.

1 Like

I dont understand that last paragraph

Well as irritable says;

They spun this entire episode out of a collectible note you find in the town

It feels like not as much depth was given to some other characters as it was in the game. (I used ā€œmainā€ instead of the character that the episode was focused on so as not to spoil it)

1 Like

So, they have changed the Bill and Frank relationship here. Considerably. In the game, Frank passes away hating Bill. You even discover Frankā€™s body with Bill. The hatred is in the note.

Theyā€™ve taken a character that people liked and told a much more tender story. And offered up some important context about the different lives and situations people may have found themselves in that they couldnā€™t do in the game.

I thought it was a beautiful way to show more of that world. And show a more human, gentle side of what is just a ā€˜levelā€™ in the game.

Iā€™m sure the big zombie men will be back later

4 Likes