The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

Oh my god I remember hearing about this story I think through an interview, it is so horrible it has never left me

The only embellishments i can provide are that Laura moved in first and there was a dead rat in the toilet when she got there, and the maggots fell out of the fire alarm onto that guy Alex’s face as he was unscrewing it.

1 Like

oh god. at my last house i had like those spotlights that are embedded in the ceiling in the bathroom. i had to change one of the bulbs once and when i unscrewed it a shit ton of dead wasps fell out onto my head, it was horrifying

3 Likes

might get this thread deleted and start again

3 Likes

Not listened to a lot of these songs for years. IMO the covers are the best tunes with the exception of ‘We Throw Parties…’. Most of the others sound a bit underdeveloped and of a band discovering its sound still. Definitely an element of having a lot of bandmembers and just throwing it all together. That makes for such great moments though, particularly on the Black Flag cover ‘Police Story’, which sounds like it’s being recorded in one take at a house party. Absolutely love all the sometimes hesitant gang vocals as if some of the band listened to the original just once before recording.

The Casiotone cover was clearly a Gareth request and it always amuses me they covered a song 42 seconds long consisting of about 2 instruments.

All in all it’s been good to revisit these songs as you can see a lot of the early seeds for moments that will go on to be key to HON,Y such as all the ramshackle chaos

4 Likes

ok when we get onto albums i’ll do a track-by-track ranking but for now, score out of 10 for Sticking Fingers into Sockets

0 voters

oh and before we leave this era behind i want to mention the line from Tweexcore that goes “oh, this city is run by fucking pigs” which i love

3 Likes

I forgot to listen and join in, but quickly, I’m a huge LC! ride or die, and this era is extremely charming and full of rawness, but I just don’t go back to it a lot. Except for The International Tweexcore Underground, which is such an amazing song.

1 Like

I don’t think that Gareth really understood why people get their ears pierced tho

2 Likes

and look how he turned out

2 Likes

I only got my ears pierced about 2 years ago and I miss being able to sing that line sincerely.

2 Likes

hey i found it!

7 Likes

I’m not Bonnie Tyler and I’m not Toni Brixton and this song isn’t gonna save your relationship, oh no shit: Hold on Now, Youngster

4 Likes

Death to LC! is still a lovely fun song.

3 Likes

FOUR SWEATY BOYS WITH GUITARS TELL ME NOTHING ABOUT MY LIFE

4 Likes

ah i love that line so much

I sorta like it but it feels very of it’s time and also I think it’s aged quite poorly given how many women in the band have been replaced with men but anyway

Not sure that is fair, as a band they are pretty right on in terms of gender equality. Only really Ellen on bass that this has happened with - Kim came in to replace Aleks and nobody replaced Harriet.

1 Like

yeah also i think they’ve very rarely (only their first couple of tours i think?) had all-male support bands too

Yeah fair enough. I just think in that sense they very much felt like an outlier to the time they formed and that’s changed over time

(also in my head this coincides with the football references greatly increasing and I have strong feelings about that as well, but I’m largely projecting here)

2 Likes