The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

I never got to go Indietracks because it was always the same weekend as Fluff fest and going to the Czech Republic was always more alluring than Derbyshire.

1 Like

found this one, im sure there was another one wheee you could see us better but here we go

IMG_8188

4 Likes

Listened to it in full for the first time in a long time. As others have mentioned, the lyrics are what marks this album down for me to be honest. I love the chaos of the songs, the throw every instrument we can at the wall approach, the shouty bits. The wide arms euphoria of it all.

But the lyrics range from clever and witty to pretty forced. The songs are also quite scattershot. I think it feels like a very good band in search of a subject to unite around. Luckily they found it pretty quickly after this.

Still a 7 or 8 out of 10, depending how nostalgic I’m feeling for the 20 year old me

2 Likes

Right then. HON,Y.

Takes me right back to walking to work, my first post-university job, at the same university I’d studied at. I’m not sure when I discovered them but I was instantly hooked. Chaotic, melodic, those lyrics. The lyrics are really what got me, I think. Wordy, peppered with silly slightly literary references everywhere. Clever rhymes, actually quite weirdly romantics in places. Yeah, it hit all the right spots with me.

I’m listening to it now for the first time in ages because honestly I do prefer the RiB>HS>NB run of records, and Gareth’s vocals on HON,Y are a bit “my ears!” to me now but yeah, it’s still very good isn’t it.

2 Likes

Jealous of you all getting to see them live multiple times, though I am thankful I got to see them live once.

Was pure accident: had bought tickets to a Dandy Warhols & Silversun Pickups outdoor gig, and as I was queuing to get my stamp and get in, the support act was starting, and I thought “that sounds familiar” and within seconds I had abandoned my friends/wife and was down in front of the stage.

I half live-posted it at the time, though I can’t find the thread/posts now… Was awesome, and I was so thrilled, and the only thing that could have made it better was if I’d been 10 years younger, and so perhaps felt less self-conscious about wigging out and dancing.

3 Likes

favourite track on Hold on Now, Youngster

• Death to Los Campesinos!
  • Broken Heartbeats Sound Like Breakbeats
  • Don’t Tell Me to Do the Math(s)
  • Drop It Doe Eyes
  • My Year in Lists
  • Knee Deep at ATP
  • This is How You Spell “HAHAHA We Destroyed the Hopes and Dreams of a Generation of Faux Romantics”
  • We Are All Accelerated Readers
  • You! Me! Dancing!
  • … And We Exhale and Roll Our Eyes in Unison
  • Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks
  • 2007, the Year Punk Broke (My Heart)
0 voters

score out of 10

0 voters

Fucking hell that was a tough choice.

Genuinely think the first 30 seconds or whatever of Sweet Dreams is one of the finest musical bits of the last twenty years. The rush. The rush.

2 Likes

My vote for Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks might be down to how great it is live.

4 Likes

Definitely this.

I was just looking at Setlist and they rarely play it now :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

oh wow, i’d have assumed it would still be at most gigs :open_mouth: although tbf they haven’t played very often the past few years either

1 Like

Yeah I always think of it as their big set closer but actually I’ve not seen them in over ten years…

they do mix their closers up, i once saw them finish with I Just Sighed

1 Like

I think I’ve seen them live about 13 times and since like the Hello Sadness tour I can only remember them playing it at the HONY/WABWAD anniversary extravaganza. When I tell you I was hyped

1 Like

Oh yeah, I was at that! I have seen them in the last decade. Why do I keep forgetting this

1 Like

Tbf my main memory from that night is a mass impromptu sing along to Man I Feel Like A Woman as the crowd shuffled out

2 Likes

don’t think anyone has mentioned the truly insane count in to Broken Heartbeats yet eh. how about that

1 Like

actually changed my mind on relistening, My Year in Lists is my favourite song. Aleks’ backing vocals are brilliant fun, the back and forth of the chorus “i cherish with fondness the day (before) i met you” is so brilliantly shady, the top 5 resolutions bit where the BVs are doing the countdown while Gareth is talking about how he won’t do a countdown, great fun

1 Like

FUCK that kick drum in the intro of You Me Dancing hits so fucking good every time, i must have listened to this song a million times and it always hits SO GOOD

2 Likes

also i feel like 2007 is VASTLY underrated as a closer

1 Like