The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

Kayfabe Friends is one of the all time great closers. Love how it’s pootling along and then it’s just done.

3 Likes

Aren’t they referenced in a Phonogram somewhere as well?

(I only have this in black & white, never seen the colour version before!)

It was coloured for the big collection of all three of them. Colours can go either way on b/w art but I think it really works here.

They are referenced in volume 2! (Which is very good) and Gareth provided a “this is good you should buy it” quote for the collection of that.

1 Like

Always love this too.

7 Likes

Yes that’s the bit I was thinking about! Thanks both.

we’ve got a twofer this week, first Romance is Boring

and then All’s Well That Ends, which is reworked acoustic versions of four RiB tracks

5 Likes

SO THE LANDSCAPE BEFORE YOU
LOOKS JUST LIKE THE EDGE OF THE WORLD
BUT TO THE LEFT SIDE AND THE RIGHT SIDE
EITHER WAY IS A CRAZY GOLF COURSE

12 Likes

Think Romance Is Boring has never grabbed my quite as hard as HONY whilst at the same time I know in my heart that it’s objectively a better record. The Sea… is probably the pinnacle of Gareth’s lyric-writing and Heat Rash and the title track are fucking brilliant. Think they had trimmed back some of the more chaotic elements by this point which amplify the songwriting more and suit the direction they’re heading in but lose a bit of the fun that made HONY and the first EP so good for me.

I’m not that keen on the EP tbh, I think Gareth’s voice needs more of a cacophony of sound behind it to work properly and the songs feel a lot more slight in acoustic form.

2 Likes

ON EVERY VIDEO GAMES MACHINE THEY CALLED HER TRIPPLE A

2 Likes

ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS
I SUPPOSE

1 Like

My favourite record of theirs by far, just feels like the beginning of their imperial phase where they were firing on all cylinders. WABWAD was such a surprise and a left turn and I think this takes everything good about that and builds it into a bigger and bolder statement. It’s dark and it’s funny and it was very “our band could be your life”.

6 Likes

Jamie Stewart does guest vocals on In Medias Res, I think during the ‘giving my body to science’ line, but I’ve never been able to pick it out

1 Like

Plan A offends me

This is such an amazing record, and I love singing every line, but especially the kissing a tory line, obviously, like everyone else.

4 Likes

it’s a weird one in the same way that The End of the Asterisk is on WABWAD, the lyrics are pretty daft but musically it’s a lot of fun

Well let’s talk about you for a minute…

Vividly remember when this was released because I was very like WHO THE FUCK IS SINGING HERE but actually I got used to it quickly and now find Gareth’s vocals pre-RiB very abrasive. Feels like a massive amount of growing up happened between WAB,WAD and this, which is weird considering the WAB,WAD songs were RiB offcuts.

Great record. Some wonderful lyrics and lovely crescendos and chaotic sounds happening. Saw them a lot around its release and knew all the words and felt like they spoke to me a lot (:joy:).

“If you were given the option of dying painlessly in peace at 45 with a lover at your side, is this something that would interest you? Would it interest you at all?” - great stuff.

7 Likes

Heat Rash is their best song by a long way for me

Will join in here later because this and NO BLUES are when I joined in on the Los Camp love finally

1 Like

Not having seen them yet is one of my bigger gig life faux pas

1 Like

Oh and I still have an original Romance Is Boring mug in circulation, I notice they were selling new ones the other day!!!

4 Likes

…sorry some brain farts coming as I give RiB a listen.

“We are two ships that pass in the night
You and I, we are nothing alike
I am a pleasure cruise
You have gone out to trawl
Return, nets empty, nothing at all.”

^another great one

We’ve Got Your Back was my favourite of theirs when this was released. I’m sure I told Gareth about that at the merch stand once and at the time they’d never played it live but at some point I did see it.

DOE EYES YOU’RE KIDDING YOURSELF

4 Likes