The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

Not sure I can vote a favourite.

Average rating is already too low.

What a way to end the thread!

1 Like

yeah, Amarante, Slow Slow Death, 5 Flucxzxc, all killer

1 Like

Standhal’s, Sad Suppers, Hung Empty, too, plus another 4 or 5.

3 Likes

here’s a thing i don’t think anyone’s mentioned, the chorus of Slow Slow Death is fucking brilliant. the wordplay of “we two in vermillion/we two a lovers coup” where like every other songwriter on earth would go for “we two in a million/we do what lovers do” is so good

so so best (doesn’t work)

4 Likes

Been listening to SS again this week and am seriously having to consider my take that Hello Sadness is their best. SS really comes close. Basically no duff tracks, epic choruses throughout, and some of Gareth’s greatest turns of phrase.

6 Likes

ITS CHRIIIIISTMAAAAAS

A Los Campesinos! Christmas

4 Likes

here’s a setlist of a gig i was at where they played a couple of christmas songs for the first time. i took the opportunity to go to the loo and the bar

(very strange setlist, i think i reviewed this gig somewhere? i remember being very drunk, to the point that i tweeted them the next day to ask what the last song was)

1 Like

Late note on Sick Scenes - it’s absolutely brilliant. Feels like the perfect ‘later career’ album (albeit mad that they released 6 albums in 10 years so it feels more ‘later career’ than it perhaps really is?) in terms of bringing the best of what they’re about together. Style wise it feels more like the first 3 records than the more recent 2 but in a more refined (mature?) way.

I’d originally for whatever reason lost track of them a bit after Romance is Boring and didn’t hear Sadness and Blues when they came out having absolutely loved them before that. This album really reignited them for me and I think elevated them from probably previously being a noughties band I loved for a time and had nostalgia for but could have easily forgotten about into a something much more enduring, and it made me appreciate the earlier stuff in a different way. So yeh it’s great

4 Likes

Per my above ramble, I agree with all this! (although replace Hello Sadness in your words with Romance is Boring for me)

1 Like

Good gig! This is also where I was introduced to Trust Fund whomst I love.

I think a guy yelled something really sexist at Kim at some point and found himself admonished by the band and the crowd. Hope he went home.

2 Likes

oh yeah i forgot Trust Fund supported! id seen him/them a couple of times before that i think, remember this being a big deal for them tho. did you see that he’s doing more stuff again now? my mate put him on at the Peer Hat earlier this year (i think??)

1 Like

Yeah I knew he was back, but I keep hearing about shows after they’ve happened :expressionless: out of the loop

1 Like

haha, ffs

turns out i was very harsh about the christmas album but just as enthusiastic about Avocado Baby. i remember starting the review in medias res, as it were, not introducing Danny just talking about him as if you should already know him but my editors didn’t like it

He’s just doing solo acoustic stuff now. Nice finger picked folky stuff, some reimagined old TF songs but mostly new stuff. Saw him in a cemetery chapel last week, was a really nice gig

1 Like

let’s make a deal, if you hear about him
playing let me know and if i hear about him playing i’ll let you know ok?

1 Like

Maybe you should both simply come to Sheffield (just grabbed myself a ticket)

3 Likes

ooh

Well this is a lovely idea but just one problem; I’m in Tenerife then, and even if I wasn’t Sheffield is more difficult to get to than fucking Mordor, and even if it wasn’t THERE IS NO 29th FEBRUARY :scream:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Look at that, a day and 8 hours each way. That’s too much, I’m a busy woman!

2 Likes