The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

i’ve put this together now

1 Like

it was never an album, always a mixtape

1 Like

that’s what they wanted you to think

1 Like

favourite track on We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed

• Ways to Make it Through the Wall
  • Miserabilia
  • We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
  • Between an Erupting Earth and an Exploding Sky
  • You’ll Need Those Fingers For Crossing
  • It’s Never That Easy Though, Is It? (Song for the Other Kurt)
  • The End of the Asterisk
  • Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown 1
  • Heart Swells/Pacific Daylight Time
  • All Your Kayfabe Friends
0 voters

score out of 10

0 voters

OH WE KID OURSELVES THERES FUTURE IN THE FUCKING BUT THERE IS NO FUCKING FUTURE

7 Likes

Origin of the line from Ways To Make It Through The Wall; Phonogram volume 1 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (it’s p bad, but the two sequels are good)

omg why are you sideways :rage:

4 Likes

Between an Erupting Earth and an Exploding Sky is such a good interlude between an angry set of openers and a much calmer run of songs.

5 Likes

Kayfabe Friends is one of the all time great closers. Love how it’s pootling along and then it’s just done.

3 Likes

Aren’t they referenced in a Phonogram somewhere as well?

(I only have this in black & white, never seen the colour version before!)

It was coloured for the big collection of all three of them. Colours can go either way on b/w art but I think it really works here.

They are referenced in volume 2! (Which is very good) and Gareth provided a “this is good you should buy it” quote for the collection of that.

1 Like

Always love this too.

7 Likes

Yes that’s the bit I was thinking about! Thanks both.

we’ve got a twofer this week, first Romance is Boring

and then All’s Well That Ends, which is reworked acoustic versions of four RiB tracks

5 Likes

SO THE LANDSCAPE BEFORE YOU
LOOKS JUST LIKE THE EDGE OF THE WORLD
BUT TO THE LEFT SIDE AND THE RIGHT SIDE
EITHER WAY IS A CRAZY GOLF COURSE

12 Likes

Think Romance Is Boring has never grabbed my quite as hard as HONY whilst at the same time I know in my heart that it’s objectively a better record. The Sea… is probably the pinnacle of Gareth’s lyric-writing and Heat Rash and the title track are fucking brilliant. Think they had trimmed back some of the more chaotic elements by this point which amplify the songwriting more and suit the direction they’re heading in but lose a bit of the fun that made HONY and the first EP so good for me.

I’m not that keen on the EP tbh, I think Gareth’s voice needs more of a cacophony of sound behind it to work properly and the songs feel a lot more slight in acoustic form.

2 Likes

ON EVERY VIDEO GAMES MACHINE THEY CALLED HER TRIPPLE A

2 Likes

ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS
I SUPPOSE

1 Like

My favourite record of theirs by far, just feels like the beginning of their imperial phase where they were firing on all cylinders. WABWAD was such a surprise and a left turn and I think this takes everything good about that and builds it into a bigger and bolder statement. It’s dark and it’s funny and it was very “our band could be your life”.

6 Likes

Jamie Stewart does guest vocals on In Medias Res, I think during the ‘giving my body to science’ line, but I’ve never been able to pick it out

1 Like

Plan A offends me