The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

This is such an amazing record, and I love singing every line, but especially the kissing a tory line, obviously, like everyone else.

4 Likes

it’s a weird one in the same way that The End of the Asterisk is on WABWAD, the lyrics are pretty daft but musically it’s a lot of fun

Well let’s talk about you for a minute…

Vividly remember when this was released because I was very like WHO THE FUCK IS SINGING HERE but actually I got used to it quickly and now find Gareth’s vocals pre-RiB very abrasive. Feels like a massive amount of growing up happened between WAB,WAD and this, which is weird considering the WAB,WAD songs were RiB offcuts.

Great record. Some wonderful lyrics and lovely crescendos and chaotic sounds happening. Saw them a lot around its release and knew all the words and felt like they spoke to me a lot (:joy:).

“If you were given the option of dying painlessly in peace at 45 with a lover at your side, is this something that would interest you? Would it interest you at all?” - great stuff.

7 Likes

Heat Rash is their best song by a long way for me

Will join in here later because this and NO BLUES are when I joined in on the Los Camp love finally

1 Like

Not having seen them yet is one of my bigger gig life faux pas

1 Like

Oh and I still have an original Romance Is Boring mug in circulation, I notice they were selling new ones the other day!!!

4 Likes

…sorry some brain farts coming as I give RiB a listen.

“We are two ships that pass in the night
You and I, we are nothing alike
I am a pleasure cruise
You have gone out to trawl
Return, nets empty, nothing at all.”

^another great one

We’ve Got Your Back was my favourite of theirs when this was released. I’m sure I told Gareth about that at the merch stand once and at the time they’d never played it live but at some point I did see it.

DOE EYES YOU’RE KIDDING YOURSELF

4 Likes

Confirmed with data.

Very short lists of records I can say “I have listened to this about 70 times in my life” about, even shorter if you append “and it still sounds absolutely thrilling” to the end

3 Likes

that reminds me, here’s a playlist of all the times doe eyes is mentioned

2 Likes

Love the concept of (Plan A) but actually hate it as a song :joy:

“I think we need more post-coital and less post rock” is horrendously cringe but also so on the money, great lyric again imho

6 Likes

I like Plan A. Wish they played it live more.

3 Likes

remember listening to the album for the first time having breakfast with my then-gf and the line “feels like the build up takes forever but you never touch my cock” just making us both spit our brews. according to the zine for the reissue, gareth originally wrote it as “suck” rather than “touch” and the band were like, come on mate

9 Likes

:joy:

It shows some range on an album that’s intentionally trying to show all these different sides to LC! so I’m sort of glad it’s there but I just find it so grating.

I like a lot of noisey stuff but this cuts through me in a way that something like Prurient does not. In that sense, it’s kind of impressive.

And yet I’d be up for it live! Partly to see how they do it nowadays but I also think it’ll fit in better as part of a set.

1 Like

I can see why Too Many Flesh Suppers didn’t go on the album proper but it’s a real shame it didn’t

1 Like

I absolutely love how We’ve Got Your Back has gone from being deep cut to live staple in the last few years. I think they said it’s because they were seeing so many fans get the lyrics tattooed? Either way it’s the best

2 Likes

I don’t care for Who Fell Asleep In at all.

The start of I Just Sighed… is 10/10. Always do a bike ride on September 21st every year and call it “Astronomically speaking it’s the first day of autumn”. No one on Strava gets it :joy:

5 Likes

YOU DON’T PAY BACK THE DEBT YOU OWE YOUR PARENTS FOR BIRTH
YOU WATCH THEM DIE.
THROUGH YOUR DECLINING EYES.

3 Likes

I’m a little bit drunk
And I mean just a little bit

Lovely stuff

4 Likes