The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

Special mention for Coda A Burn Scar. The way it builds up - Gareth’s vocals sounding just that little bit more desperate with the chorus singing in the background and the rumbling distortion at the end. Extremely cool. One of my favourite LC! tracks for sure

2 Likes

This is a fantastic album and listening to it again for the first time in a little while, I’m surprised/reminded just how many good moments they are. Every track has something special going on.

Really enjoyed There Is a Flag on today’s listen - maybe that’s benefitted the most from the remaster? The backing vocals are great. Heart Swells to the end of the album is pretty much perfect.

2 Likes

Heat Rash followed by The Sea is good, innit. Objectively excellent songs but not even in my top ten LC! faves.

3 Likes

iirc they had to relearn it for the RiB 10th anniversary tour as they’d never played it. it was good :man_shrugging::grinning:

1 Like

yeah it’s one of the weaker moments for me

I FALL TO MY KNEES
MY PISS-SOAKED JEANS
THE FIRST TIME, THE LAST TIME AND THE TIMES IN BETWEEN
I CANT BELIEVE I CHOSE THE MOUNTAIN EVERY TIME YOU CHOSE THE SEA

what does it mean? no one knows, but it’s provocative, it gets the people going

6 Likes

Gave this a couple of listens in preparation. Great album, and the release that reminded me how great LC are, having (inexplicably) not given HONY much time and not thought much of WABWAD. In hindsight, I’m not sure why it drew me back to them, given that it’s much shoutier, noisier, harshier than the tweepoppiness that I loved in their early days, but it is great fun nonetheless, and Sea is such a killer! (In fact, I’m pretty sure that song is solely responsible for me giving RIB enough time to appreciate it.)

Always considered this my favourite LC album up until Sick Scenes. But this listening club has prompted me to recognise that HONY was actually everything I wanted in the first place, and so RIB has now slipped down to third.

1 Like

Need to post about this later cause I listened to it last night and it was a similar absolute flood of “why has it been so long?”

2 Likes

It’s right in the background, he’s screaming the lines:

I’d rather go down in a ball of flames,
than sit here and be bored to death:
all’s well that ends.

The ones that Gareth sings on the Heat Rash EP version. It’s barely audible but it is possible to pick it out. I’ve always found it harder to hear Zack Pennington singing on Good Place

3 Likes

The last two lines are taken from the B.S. Johnson poem ‘Bad News for Her Mother’, which he also referenced in ‘Here’s To the Fourth Time!’

You can read the poem here, it’s the first one!

https://www.staff.u-szeged.hu/~gnovak/bsj-poems2.html

2 Likes

Wo this B.S. Johnson writes poems like a massive dick

Isn’t he the one who wrote a novel that wasn’t bound so you could read it in any order? What a wacky fucker.

1 Like

I read this earlier this year and it turns out it is possible to read it in the wrong order.

4 Likes

I always associate Romance is Boring and Hello Sadness with Christmas because iirc, I got both albums as Christmas presents. When listening to ‘The Sea Is A Good Place To Think About the Future’, it’s so mad - I can vividly remember sitting cross-legged in my room listening to it on the Pitchfork news page, a totally dark and rainy day outside. The images I get in my head when I listened to it yesterday (not having listened to it for a good long while) are still more or less exactly the same.

Anyway, the album itself. I think I can appreciate its theatricality a lot more these days than I could upon release. My favourite tracks from then are pretty much still my favourites and it was euphoric revisiting “We’ve Got Your Back (Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown 2)”, “Who Fell Asleep In”, and “A Heat Rash in the Shape of the Show Me State; or, Letters from Me to Charlotte” - those were some of my absolute favourite songs when I was about 20. There was a point in my mid-twenties I found it very difficult to listen to a lot of music I’d been really in love with like that in my uni days, so it felt really great being able to come back to them without all the silly unnecessary anxiety kicking in.

3 Likes

Yeah I discovered him through Gareth. I wrote my BA dissertation on him and was going to do a PhD but decided against to be a low paid librarian and failing journalist.

3 Likes

Don’t be going off on Johnson, Gareth might read these forums!

Love this kind of thing. Honestly a big part of my BA dissertation coming into being was because Radiohead’s merch store w.a.s.t.e is a Pynchon reference

1 Like

I’ll make a list of all the B.S. Johnson references in Gareth’s lyrics because I like doing stuff like that and it gives me a reason to procrastinate from my deadlines tomorrow

3 Likes

Something I haven’t thought about for years: I had a bit of a crush on the IRL Charlotte. She used to post on here and we spent a lot of time texting. I always felt like it was slightly mutual but who knows. We only met once though (at Indietracks obviously), it was a bit awks.

2 Likes

yeah man this is the good shit!

1 Like