The Los Campesinos! listening club: Sleeper hits for weeping dipshits! A Los Campesinos Christmas starts at post 474!

yeah me too, i thought he was wanking in the shower to someone else’s phone?? idk

As is something of a tradition for me in this thread, I will begin by outlining the disappointment I felt when this was released. (Honestly, you have to wonder how I can profess to love this bad.) Where are the female vocals?? Whether alternating lead or backing, they’re gone, bar the choir. First, HONY hurts my ears with some brash production, then WABWAD and HS reduce by two thirds the number of joyous, banging twee pop songs that make up each album, and then No Blues goes and deprives me of the female vocals.

By now I’ve resigned myself to the idea that LC are a singles band, and HONY and RIB just happened to be jam packed with singles. Worse still, No Blues is the kind of album that will garner the most damning of critical descriptions: “more mature”.

It’s not all terrible. As with HS before it, No Blues has a couple of instant classics: What Death Leaves Behind and Avocado, Baby (baby!) are sensational, but in 2013 I’m no getting much out of the rest of it.

Over time, things changed. For Flotsam eventually stood out as another great track, and then Sick Scenes taught me to enjoy the aspects of LC that were taking them away from their early days. Even so, it’s only been very recently that I’ve been able to appreciate this album, with Portrait and Glue Me being the only songs that still don’t do a lot for me (Cemetery Gaits is saved by the chorus). These last couple of listens as part of the listening club have played a big part in heightening my appreciation of those tracks I’d formerly thought of as, not filler per se, but more as “not cracking tunes”.

The best part about that is that it’s almost like I’ve got a new LC album to enjoy.

2 Likes

from Imgflip Meme Generator

3 Likes

i’m merkel here yelling AVOCADO BABY in your smug face

1 Like

A Good Night For A Fist Fight

I was at this gig. Iirc they were selling litres of beer in plastic cups. Doesn’t seem right, does it? (Can someone confirm?? Maybe I’m getting that confused with the RiB anniversary show?) Islington Assembly Hall is such a flippin’ good venue.

Anyway. As it was over ten years ago I have no real memory of it. I do have vague memories of LC! gigs and feeling generally like a mess for all of them, feeling like G’s lyrics spoke to me personally. As I alluded to upthread I’d pour over lyrics and actually study records I enjoyed during this period of my life. I’m sure I’d have lost my voice after this. I’m also sure I can hear my voice shouting after a couple of songs.

I queued after and bought the gig’s poster which a few of the band signed. I framed it, and it’s hung up in my office for all to see on a Teams call. No one has ever commented on it.

3 Likes

As for the music, we’ll, it’s a nice little album isn’t it. Rinsed it when it was released, can remember Gareth’s delivery and how it differs from studio versions on a lot of the songs.

Hmm. The comment about pretty girls before By Your Hand…

2 Likes

Was going to say, forget about Time Before the Last, if you want cringe, his ad-lib about pretty girls there is as bad as it gets.

defo had plastic two pint pots at the RiB gig

jason’s drumming on this record is so good :heart_eyes:

1 Like

really think Avocado Baby should be about six times as long, could listen to it forever i think

2 Likes

Just on the tail of that last echoey drum bit that ends the song, they could have just slammed another chorus in there. I’d not have minded

3 Likes

yeah, and then done the same again, and again and again and again, and again

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. The drums are what sets it apart from other LC records, sonically. Huge!

1 Like

favourite track on No Blues

• For Flotsam
  • What Death Leaves Behind
  • A Portrait of the Trequartista as a Young Man
  • Cemetery Gaits
  • Glue Me
  • As Lucerne/The Low
  • Avocado, Baby
  • Let it Spill
  • The Time Before the Last Time
  • Selling Rope (Swan Dive to Estuary)
0 voters

score out of 10 for No Blues

0 voters

score out of 10 for *A Good Night for a Fistfight

0 voters

I’ve definitely been at venues that do litres of beer (Manchester Apollo maybe?)

only just getting round to listening to the live album now, gareth’s voice is so good, just fucking ripping into the screams and stuff :grinning:

2 Likes

Tough call between Avocado and Death for me. Ended up going for Death. Surprised not a single vote for Flotsam as yet.

3 Likes

it’s a really strong album eh!

1 Like

Similar to @Funkhouser, this album never completely clicked with me. I think its a very good album but ive never loved it fully like some others. Just never emotionally resonated with me as much.

Listening back there’s a lot of death isn’t there?

Avocado baby is absolutely brilliant though.

Still an 8 for me, it’s still great. I just prefer others

3 Likes

as it stands, the last los camp album, but not the last of the listening club so don’t worry cutie

Sick Scenes

5 Likes